Enterprise 04-02-2002 -- Back to normal!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Francois Caron, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    In other words: somewhat predictable, rather bland.

Maybe it's time to hire new writers...

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I thought this week was going to be about the crew discovering the "Botany Bay".

Oasis was quite mediocre. The alien races get more human the farther they go out exploring.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So you Canadians have an advantage, eh? We don't get to see this one until tonight. But I certainly agree about the generally unimaginative portrayal of "aliens" in just about every incarnation of Trek--generally, they're just humans with bumps or ridges on their foreheads. (TNG's "The Chase" had to be about the biggest cop-out for "explaining" the existence of so many similar-looking species. With the budget these series have enjoyed, you'd think a little more imagination and effort would be thrown in.)

4. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

Jack.

Cop out? really I rather enjoyed "The Chase" and found the explanation to be very Rodenberry-esque (for a post Rodenberry trek story). Always reminded me of the Greek-Roman god stories from the Original trek.

The thought of an alien race seeding planets seems plausible, especially in close proximity to one another by Trek standards.

Now when Voyager ran into the same bump-nosed, spotted, aliens week after week I was let down. Although they have treated us to a few rare non-humanoid species (Species 8472) in recent times. I am all for some totally CGI'ed characters as long as they look as if they are interacting with the characters.

Just my $ 0.02.

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    Watched this episode myself last night and I enjoyed it. Note: Pay CLOSE attention to the trader's voice who opens the episode. I missed it at first.

Without going into spoilers and such..suffice to say I thought it was kinda neat what the trader stated was there and what ultimately was.

Also..kinda made me think to myself "farmer's daughter" type of situation.

6. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

Shows like Farscape have a lot more interesting looking aliens. Some of them are muppets but they look pretty dang good.

The "DNA Mad Scientist" was one of the best.

---

In Trek not only do the alien races look human, they talk like humans using human expressions and sayings. I could see this is the TOS timeline since aliens and humans have interacted more. But in the Enterprise series they are making first contact with these species.

7. Jack Briggs

Doug: Oh, I enjoyed "The Chase"; it's a thoroughly charming episode. I simply think its explanation for the hominid dominance of the Trek universe a cop out--but it was Roddenberry-esque, as you note. JB

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well they are getting the guy from the X Files Next Year. Good or Bad you decide.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Which "guy from the X-Files"? An actor like Pileggi or Patrick, one of the writers, a producer?

Anyway, I rather enjoyed "Oasis". It's a fairly familiar story, but it was acted well. I liked Rene Auberjonois's final scene with Bakula, even if he is yet another too-familiar face from being in DS9 and not being in ST6.

Nice nod to prior episodes, even if the inevitable "what'll you do, create a holographic doctor?"
    line was kind of goofy in delivery. I think we're going to have to assume that the Federation did have this technology pre-TNG, though, and file the oohing and aahing in "Farpoint" alongside "we didn't know that Trill are joined!" and "we've never seen the Ferengi!"

I liked it, though. Maybe it is, as I said, a bit too familiar, but I have a soft spot for this type of story, especially as handily executed as it was here.

10. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

I chose to watch a new DVD tonight rather than Enterprise, and I don't feel like I missed anything. Maybe I'll check and see how things are going in another year or two. [​IMG]

11. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

I remember seeing an interview a few years back with one of the Trek makeup guys (it was specifically about DS9 and demonstrated the prostheses used on Marc Alaimo (Dukat)). He said that the humanoid aliens were a specific design choice by Rodenberry since he felt actors couldn't emote well under heavy protheses. Supposedly his dictate was that the eyes, nose and mouth had to always be recognizable.

- Guy

12. Todd_Brown

Todd_Brown Second Unit

I enjoyed last night's show, and I've enjoyed most of the others. I find it amusing that minutes after an episode people rush to this forum to tell the rest of us why the show sucked for various reasons.

Those reason's have been:

a) Don't like the producers, anything by them ultimately means the show will suck.

b) Opening music is terrible not "Trek" enough".

c) Bakula sucks as captain (falls under the "if it ain't Kirk, it ain't Trek" argument).

d) This or that device or alien shouldn't have been seen before DS9, or TNG, etc...

e) Acting is bad/ Story is boring

f) A new one this week, all the aliens look to human.

I guess I'm trying to say, if you don't like the show watch something else. I prefer any kind of Star Trek, to the rest of the crap on T.V. today.

My opinions, and I apologize if I offended anyone.

Todd

13. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    The "S.S. Botany Bay" business on the official site was an April Fool's joke. I stared at it for a few seconds, momentarily stunned that they would attempt such a bad idea, but ultimately I was not suckered by their tomfoolery. I knew that it had to be a joke. (God, I hate April Fool's jokes. They're not even funny most of the time, just very very stupid.)
    Overall, I am not impressed with this new series. Not one damned bit. Seeing Rene Auberjonois again and hearing his familiar gravelly voice only made me miss the glory days of Deep Space Nine.

14. Jack Briggs

May I offer some comments here about "Oasis"?
    Several things are happening at once. But this episode demonstrates so thoroughly how Star Trek is oftentimes its own worst enemy. For buried beneath the inconsistencies and implausibilities lies what could have been the first truly great Enterprise episode and one of the upper-tier installments of the entire franchise.
    But for those problems. ...
    First, let's go back to plausibility. Obviously, "aliens" looking completely identical to humans is a consistent Trek failing that goes all the way back to first-season TOS ("A Taste of Armageddon" anyone?). But superior writing has often overcome those scientific/plausibility failings. In the case of "Oasis," why not simply posit that the crashed ship is the battered remnant of a much earlier human expedition to the stars? Sidestep the "alien" thing altogether, in other words. In one fell swoop, the episode's primary scientific failing could have been neatly and cleanly sidestepped. (One of the rare cases in Trek history where we have been treated to a truly alien alien is in the third-season TNG episode "The Ensigns of Command.")
    Our next major problem here has been the failing of nearly every Trek incarnation since TNG: derivation. Think about it. There is a major domo, archetypal cinematic science-fiction masterpiece of a film that was shamelessly pilfered here in "Oasis." Who among you has seen that classic film about a mad scientist supposedly "stranded" on a distant planet, with only his daughter present for human companionship? Are your sensors picking up images of Walter Pidgeon and Anne Francis? Are you thinking ... Forbidden Planet?
    Let's carry the derivation bugaboo further. In what is now a Trek tradition, the franchise likes to eat its own, so to speak--to mine its own backstory and rehash ideas that have already been rehashed.
    To that end, last night's episode contained strong echoes of the the third-season TNG outing titled "The Survivors" (lone couple stranded on a devastated planet and who simply do not want to be "rescued" by the Enterprise-D--and the wife turns out to be a cleverly crafted fake). Or think about the second-season DS9 episode, "Shadowplay" (an entire village's inhabitants turn out to be holograms).
    If, somehow, "Oasis" had managed to be a tad more original, and had the show been written in deference to at least a modicum of plausibility, it would have succeeded almost brilliantly as drama, and as good television. But the Braga/Berman effect prevails, it seems.
    Entertaining episode. Frustrating episode. But for a few alterations that wouldn't have cost The Factory a cent, it could have ascended to the ranks of all-time-greatest episodes in the Trek annals.
    Here's to the hope that Enterprise will get it all together and push the limits. I still have that hope.

15. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

16. Jack Briggs

And those comments are excellent, too, Robert. I agree with you completely. The aliens-as-human-in-all-things problem was particularly obvious on DS9 (sorry, Jason Seaver). I remember during one of the multii-episode story arcs on DS9 where Dax and Kira were discussing dating woes. Yep, we're really talking "alien" there.

Of course, as much as I love Trek, I have always cut it more slack than I do those dramatic attempts at genuine science fiction. That little movie with those black monoliths you mentioned: By showing only that mysterious black artifact--and nothing else--the director of that flick enhanced the entire aura of alienness. That was pretty darn good moviemaking, IMO!

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

I thought Oasis was great, really great. About half way through I started thinking, oh my, they're robots! An homage to Mudd's Women! 1960s Trek meets 2002 Trek!

And it was another great performance by Trip, who apparently is the star of the show, we should know by now.

Good suspense. Nice reference to Trip's past exploits. Good T'Pol moment.

One bit of dumbness - Archer should have realized the beams were going straight through and shouted "aim for their guns!" since they were (evidently) solid. I mean come on writers, give the man some credit, he's a captain and is supposed to be smart. But after last week's Voyager-esque crapfest (the Ferengi episode), I don't mind one flaw or two.

19. Ron Biles

Ron Biles Extra

20. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The restrictions you people put on this show are too harsh.

An episode can't be like any previous Trek episodes (so that's, let's see... 3 series at 7 seasons each with about 22 episodes per season (?) + 3.5 seasons (original series) * 22 eps = approximately 539 story lines that they're not allowed to do).

An episode can't be like any other story ever told, whether it be older sci-fi movies, Shakespeare, etc, in any way.

It can't include anything (ie technology) shown in previous Trek series.

It has to be "believable" (which is quite a silly thing to demand of a show about futuristic space travelers).

Aliens have to look alien and not human, but human enough but alien.

Quite frankly, I don't see how they can ever hope to put together an episode that would please people.

I know there are Trek fans that don't watch the new series or wish it would go off the air. I can understand that point of view more than someone who constantly invents all of these qualifications on how to "fix" the show.

Now, am I saying this show is perfect? Hell, no. It is exactly what I expected- they fly around in a spaceship every week and get into various trouble with aliens. It makes for a pleasant 42 minute diversion every Wednesday evening.