1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

ENTERPRISE 02/26/'03, "Canamar"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rex Bachmann, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    episode: #43
    original airdate: February 26, 2003
    writer: John Shiban
    director: Allan Kroeker
    synopsis: "Archer and Tucker are arrested and placed on a prisoner transport heading for a penal colony, Canamar. They won't have a chance to correct this error as one of inmates plots a takeover of the ship."

This will round out the February "sweeps" episodes. After a pretty good (for Enterprise, anyway) episode the previous week, I wonder whether it's back to the same-old-same-old.

The preview's voice-over about the "worst prison[ship] in the galaxy" provided me with a Voyager moment:

Voyager episode #45: "The Chute" (script: Kenneth Biller; story: Clayvon C. Harris; direction: Les Landau)
    Stardate: 50156.2 (first broadcast September 18, 1996)

"Paris and Kim are sent to an Akritian prison after being accused of a terrorist bombing."

Oh, mommy!

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Actually "The Chute" was a standout (For Voyager) Episode and one of the better ones, But Enterprise is doing far too many Prison eps, in a few Weeks Archer gets sent to the Klingon Penal Moon Rure Penthe, last seen in Star Trek VI.
    He's gonna get shanked eventually.

3. Mark Turetsky

Mark Turetsky Supporting Actor

They should get J.K. Simmons to play his podmate.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Well, UPN's hyping this episode up as envelope-stretching Star Trek. My heart's pounding, sweat glistens the brow. The sense of excitement is palpable.

5. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    Not a bad episode, but, still, same-old-same old.

The prison transport---and especially its cockpit---looked appropriately grungy.

---"Make-up!": More bumpy foreheads and cheekbones.
    ---"Puh-leeze!": Okay, out the hatch with "talky guy" (Zoumas)!
    ---"And the lesson for today is . . . .": Kuroda (Mark Ralston, Pvt. Drake of Aliens fame), the prison-break leader, tells of his prison education in crime. (There's a message in there somewhere. . . .)
    ---"Take five!": Features the usual unbelievable instant adaptability of the crewmembers to technology not their own, including reading technical displays in alien scripts and languages.

Conclusion: Any more prison episodes and we'll lock up the producers!

This means I found only one out the four "sweeps"-month episodes to be memorable enough to want to see again. What a waste!

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

More than same ol' same ol', Rex. This was amazingly stale. Ugh. The rest of your comment is in the right sector.

(Another thread has been started. Now let's see if I can for once get this merge tool right.)

7. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky
    I won't repeat what I said in the other thread on the subject of this episode, except to say that was the worst kick in the teeth us fans have taken this season.. [​IMG]

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Not bad. Sure, if it goes onto the list of Enterprise's greatest episodes, that will say more about everything else than "Canamar", but as an hour of disposable entertainment, it did all right.

Yep, that's damning with faint praise. Still, I must admit to being somewhat impressed with how the episode managed to keep my interest despite how hackneyed it was. Shiban may not be the most creative person on staff(*), but he is pretty good at getting a solid hour of television out of standard parts. I did like the way he left the anger out front at the ending, too - the standard Trek way seems to be to end with a bit of reflection as the captain and first officer process what just happened and move on; here, there's the feeling that this will stick with the characters.

Now for a standard complaint, but I couldn't help thinking it a lot last night - this entire episode gets told in ten minutes on Farscape. Indeed, now that that show's over, I hope Paramount tries to recruit some of its talent. Nothing would make me happier (Enterprise-wise) if September saw Berman & Braga out and Justin Monjo (and, of course, Jane Espenson) in.

(*) But just who is the most creative person on this writing staff? That's a really terrifying question.

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Actually, I didn't think it was a bad episode. I only got to see the second half, and it didn't make want to double over in pain.

No, it is nothing new, but at least it was entertaining, which this season of Enterprise has been really short on. It gets a passing grade.

Jason

10. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I really liked this episode the first time I saw it . . . When it was called "Con Air!"

"Put the Andorian Bunny Down!"

11. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

Yawn.

The last episodes I liked were "Carbon Creek" & "Stigma". I've come close to giving up on 'Enterprise' several times, yet I end up watching hoping the next one's good.

12. doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky Supporting Actor

doug zdanivsky

13. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Could have been worse - I half expected that the prisoners would be made to "row the boat" as they sat shackled.

Enough with the "taken prisoner" episodes, please!!!!!

14. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Who played the official who came aboard Enterprise during most of the show. Seems very familiar. Also the guy who talks too much was familiar, (at first I thought it was my son, [​IMG] ).

15. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    The guy who talks too much reminded me of Clem, the jowly (understatement) demon from Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

16. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

17. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy

18. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

19. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann
    John Co wrote (post #14):

20. Rex Bachmann