What's new

ENTERPRISE 02/26/'03, "Canamar" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
episode: #43
original airdate: February 26, 2003
writer: John Shiban
director: Allan Kroeker
synopsis: "Archer and Tucker are arrested and placed on a prisoner transport heading for a penal colony, Canamar. They won't have a chance to correct this error as one of inmates plots a takeover of the ship."

This will round out the February "sweeps" episodes. After a pretty good (for Enterprise, anyway) episode the previous week, I wonder whether it's back to the same-old-same-old.

The preview's voice-over about the "worst prison[ship] in the galaxy" provided me with a Voyager moment:

Voyager episode #45: "The Chute" (script: Kenneth Biller; story: Clayvon C. Harris; direction: Les Landau)
Stardate: 50156.2 (first broadcast September 18, 1996)

"Paris and Kim are sent to an Akritian prison after being accused of a terrorist bombing."

Oh, mommy!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Actually "The Chute" was a standout (For Voyager) Episode and one of the better ones, But Enterprise is doing far too many Prison eps, in a few Weeks Archer gets sent to the Klingon Penal Moon Rure Penthe, last seen in Star Trek VI.
He's gonna get shanked eventually.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, UPN's hyping this episode up as envelope-stretching Star Trek. My heart's pounding, sweat glistens the brow. The sense of excitement is palpable.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Not a bad episode, but, still, same-old-same old.

The prison transport---and especially its cockpit---looked appropriately grungy.

---"Make-up!": More bumpy foreheads and cheekbones.
---"Puh-leeze!": Okay, out the hatch with "talky guy" (Zoumas)!
---"And the lesson for today is . . . .": Kuroda (Mark Ralston, Pvt. Drake of Aliens fame), the prison-break leader, tells of his prison education in crime. (There's a message in there somewhere. . . .)
---"Take five!": Features the usual unbelievable instant adaptability of the crewmembers to technology not their own, including reading technical displays in alien scripts and languages.

Conclusion: Any more prison episodes and we'll lock up the producers!

This means I found only one out the four "sweeps"-month episodes to be memorable enough to want to see again. What a waste!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
More than same ol' same ol', Rex. This was amazingly stale. Ugh. The rest of your comment is in the right sector.

(Another thread has been started. Now let's see if I can for once get this merge tool right.)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I won't repeat what I said in the other thread on the subject of this episode, except to say that was the worst kick in the teeth us fans have taken this season.. :angry:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Not bad. Sure, if it goes onto the list of Enterprise's greatest episodes, that will say more about everything else than "Canamar", but as an hour of disposable entertainment, it did all right.

Yep, that's damning with faint praise. Still, I must admit to being somewhat impressed with how the episode managed to keep my interest despite how hackneyed it was. Shiban may not be the most creative person on staff(*), but he is pretty good at getting a solid hour of television out of standard parts. I did like the way he left the anger out front at the ending, too - the standard Trek way seems to be to end with a bit of reflection as the captain and first officer process what just happened and move on; here, there's the feeling that this will stick with the characters.

Now for a standard complaint, but I couldn't help thinking it a lot last night - this entire episode gets told in ten minutes on Farscape. Indeed, now that that show's over, I hope Paramount tries to recruit some of its talent. Nothing would make me happier (Enterprise-wise) if September saw Berman & Braga out and Justin Monjo (and, of course, Jane Espenson) in.

(*) But just who is the most creative person on this writing staff? That's a really terrifying question.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Actually, I didn't think it was a bad episode. I only got to see the second half, and it didn't make want to double over in pain.

No, it is nothing new, but at least it was entertaining, which this season of Enterprise has been really short on. It gets a passing grade.

Jason

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I really liked this episode the first time I saw it . . . When it was called "Con Air!"

"Put the Andorian Bunny Down!"

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Yawn.

The last episodes I liked were "Carbon Creek" & "Stigma". I've come close to giving up on 'Enterprise' several times, yet I end up watching hoping the next one's good.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
I've come close to giving up on 'Enterprise' several times, yet I end up watching hoping the next one's good.
My sentiments EXACTLY! We're like heroin addicts chasing The Dragon, that first, perfect high!

They give (Stigma), then they take away (DAMN double re-runs!), then they rub our noses in this kind of filth! Then they begin the cycle again, right before we decide to pull the plug for good.. Just EVIL!! :angry:

And if I sound bitter, that's just the tip of the iceburg of my contempt for the way they're treating us fans..

Believe you me this is all calculated. How to get by with the least amount of good, original writing..

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Could have been worse - I half expected that the prisoners would be made to "row the boat" as they sat shackled.

Enough with the "taken prisoner" episodes, please!!!!!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Who played the official who came aboard Enterprise during most of the show. Seems very familiar. Also the guy who talks too much was familiar, (at first I thought it was my son, :laugh: ).

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
"Put the Andorian Bunny Down!"
LOL, yes, that was a rather poor "Enterprise does Con Air" episode. Pity they couldn't have cast Colm Meaney, really.

Of course, I doubt the aliens would have detained Archer and Trip if they'd been wearing their uniforms, like in every other episode, as opposed to their Han Solo costumes.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I really liked this episode the first time I saw it . . . When it was called "Con Air!"
:) My wife said the same thing while we were watching it.

I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about editing this episode's ending in respect to the Columbia crew. I kept thinking when the prison ship was going down "I wonder how much of this ship's destruction they are going to show."

The final shot seemed abbreiviated which is fine, but I was just wondering if this was intentional. Am I right to think this was shot and edited a couple of months ago before the Columbia tragedy?

Peace,

DM

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks