What's new

ENTERPRISE 02/05/'03: "Stigma" (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Enterprise: "Stigma"
Episode: #40
original airdate: February 5, 2003
writers: Rick Berman & Brannon Braga
Director: David Livingston
Synopsis: "Enterprise visits a planet where an Interspecies Medical Exchange conference is being held. Dr. Phlox tries to obtain research on a terminal disease from the Vulcan contingency, without revealing T'Pol has been infected by it."
Notes: "'Stigma' is Enterprise's contribution to an AIDS awareness campaign put together by Viacom and the Kaiser Foundation."
SciFiWire: "Enterprise Deals With AIDS"
dateline: January 16, 2003 39:00am ET
Cast your votes NOW!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
*heart races*

I really love these original science fiction-oriented plots. Puts Heinlein, Simak, Sturgeon, and all those others to shame.

Whatever. It's best to reserve judgment in most cases, but Rick Berman and Brannon Braga are special.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
So, is this going to be a recurring plot thread, where T'Pol may be asymptomatic for the rest of the season but needs specialized medication (which may be hard to come by in Enterprise's setting) and eventually suffers/dies from it, or will something in Phlox's menagerie be a nigh-miraculous cure/treatment?

Knowing Berman and Braga, probably the latter. At this point, I wouldn't put it past them to have centuries of human and vulcan medical science not be as effective as the application of leeches.

Not that I'll see it, of course. Once I see those two with writing credit, I'm elsewhere.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
Yep, I'm with you Jason. There I am, eagerly anticipating another installment of this fantastic series called 'Enterprise', sitting on the edge of my seat as the credits begin to come on screen, and lo and behold the greatest sci fi writer-duo of the 21st century have yet another episode credit...and I quickly and without remorse turn the channel.:D

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
*Sigh* Originality is dead and buried.
For those wondering if the show should be watched or avoided, do not worry. If the show is truly that bad, the Canadian-based Enterprise Early Warning System will spare you the loss of an entire hour of your short, pathetic life. :D

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
The only redeeming factor is that at least they were writing this episode in support of a good cause.

cheers!

Josh

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
So, we've gotten to the point in "Enterprize Bashing" where we decide that an episode sucks before it airs?!?!?!
:confused:

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
No, we've simply reached the point where we know what to expect from the team of Rick Berman & Brannon Braga at this stage of their careers.

It's too bad, because this could be an interesting idea if used well. What would the effects of an AIDS-like disease transmitted by mind-melds (a good metaphor, since that itself would be a form of intimacy) be? I'd guess gullibility, reduced ability to think critically, excessive trust - breaking down the mind's defenses. A totally memetic syndrome, as it were. That'd actually be a nifty sfnal idea. If it were one of the other writers with the screen credit (and I had some confidence in it being an issue beyond the episode), I'd be very interested.

But, let's face it - these guys are responsible for why Voyager and Enterprise are so often mediocre-at-best. I haven't decided the episode stinks, but based on the track record of the creative people involved, I certainly expect it to.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Exactly, B&B have proven over the last 9 seasons that they don't give a shit anymore and are just collecting a paycheck.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I posted a thread on this upcoming ep on the TrekBBS. I find it extraordinary that the writers of Enterprise have not done their research and look at the time honored traditions of Vulcans in TOS. How did the race of people that created and believed in IDIC, Infinite diversity in Infinite Creation, become such closed minded, bigoted (They think Humans smell) and decietful (They hide military spy bases) race?

I applaud them for doing an Aids Allegory (Although it's ten years overdue) but why do this thru the vulcans? Why would they ostericize an individual for being sick.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The answer, Dave, is because B&B are rooted in the present and do not possess a "science-fictional" way or ability of seeing things or of telling stories. This thing will be a generic 1980s-2000s parable told with SF trappings. From the beginning, specifically with Brannon Braga, it has been difficult to separate the futuristic from the present.

Somehow, TOS and TNG got away with it (well, I know how). But Voyager and Enterprise cannot escape this black hole of unimaginativeness.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
How did the race of people that created and believed in IDIC, Infinite diversity in Infinite Creation, become such closed minded, bigoted (They think Humans smell) and decietful (They hide military spy bases) race?
Um... They've been hypocrites since approximately "Journey To Babel"?

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
For myself, the ship only looks good from very few angles. Being an avid sci-fi modeler for the last 27 years (come visit all us at Starshipmodeler.com I'm the Sci Fi Smoker), I think the ship could've been designed soooo much better. If you know Trek vessels, then you know this design was a blatant rip-off of the Akira class from TNG.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Yeah, but I was also referring to the interior sets, which look more like interiors of present-day naval war ships, though I must confess I really like the die-cast iron look of the exterior. I think this is the only Trek ship that’s had an actual working elevator for the actors to use. I’m fairly certain that none of the elevators (turbo lifts, whatever) actually moved in the sets of the previous ships.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
Finger's crossed, everybody! We can't lose ho.. ah, forget it.. This one's got "missed oppertunity" written all over it, just like every episoed so far..
Like I say, I've kept my Enterprise-addiction under wraps since the middle of the first season.. :frowning:
To paraphrase Seinfeld, "a hideous, uncouth brute... yet I can't look away..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks