What's new

Enter the Matrix, who's buying? (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I was just curious if anyone here had preordered the matrix game? I just saw it for preorder for 40 dollars Canadian so I was thinking about it but the previews I've read seem pretty medicore. Although most say they hope the final build takes care of these things I find that most of the time, it doesn't. I heard some places are selling it already so if anyone could give me their hands on impressions that would be amazing!
Thank You

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
I'm going to buy it, probably no matter what the reviews say. I love the Matrix universe, and the idea of having the game expand on stuff from the movie, especially with an hours worth of exclusive footage from it seems very cool to me.

If I can find it this weekend near me, I'll post some impressions of it.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Ill see when the time comes if ill pick it up. Moto GP comes out around the same time, plus next month is a huge dvd tv box set month so it depends :)

capt

paul h

Supporting Actor
Well someone better buy it, they've shipped 4m copies to retail :D ... i'd be amazed if it sold anywhere near that amount.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I REALLY think it's going to be big in rentals. I know that it's probably the only way I'll play it.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm going to sit and wait on this one. The previews haven't been all that great and, from what I've gathered, they pretty much agreed that it's a standard game.

Whatever that means. I guess, average?

Rental; if anything, for me.

There's just too damn many games coming out that interest me more: MotoGP2, Brute Force, Wolfenstein...ect.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
I'll probably give it a rental, but there's now tons of mixed/negative reviews of Reloaded hitting the net, so that might put a damper on sales as well.

KevinRB

Stunt Coordinator
I agree... I'm afraid this game has been over-hyped. It's kind of sad because so much time and money has been put into it.

If the reviews come out saying it's a breakthrough game, I'm buying. Otherwise, it will most likely be an extended rent from Red Octane.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I saw a preview video of it on MTV's "Making The Game" and the graphics didn't look very good. I think it's probably a good game that got bogged down by little time and a not-so-great developer. Someone bigger could have done this game much better justice.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
The "movie license" curse stikes again, apparently.

Still, I'm willing to bet that many casual gamers will buy it in truckloads just because it's a Matrix game. The developer will make money and, mediocre games will continue to thrive.

Kinda similar to what's happening in movies. They call it "front loading". It's where you overhype a mediocre movie to the point that it makes all the money it needs on opening weekend. By the 2nd weekend, people know it isn't worth a shit but, da moe-nay has already been made.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I did preorder, main reason being I get to see more footage by the Bros! What about releasing the game when the third movie comes out, that much time could easily fix a lot of things. Just an idea.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
It's pretty funny that the criticism of this game is based on what many consider to be the least important part of a game: the graphics.

I've got to admit: I'm buying the game, and I agree that the graphics (espcially the High-Heat Baseball-looking character models) don't look that great, but I'm hoping that the character movement and animation (especially the bullet-time effects) make up for it.

The bonus DVD has a section about the making of the game, and as far as I can see, the fight sequences look like they're gonna be great. However, they are going for a "cinematic" camera, so most likely it'll be tough to work with.

It all boils down to this for me:
Matrix Storyline + 1080i (XBox) resolution + Bullet Time = purchase. I just sure hope the gameplay doesn't let me down.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
About the graphics...

In the video I saw, they were so bad that it was distracting. Granted, it was in a cinema sequence, not a gameplay sequence, but everything looked disjointed and unfinished. It really could have been done MUCH better.

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
They had all the money they needed to "perfect" this game ($20 million, as WB bragged), so lack of resources certainly wasn't the problem. I'm guessing 3/4 of that budget was allocated toward cutscenes.

I don't believe the fault lies with Shiny, either. From what I've read about development, I'm guessing that the "powers that be" meddled in every aspect of this production -- I'd be willing to bet that development period was shortened just to get it out for Reloaded's release.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
$40 Canadian at EB, with a free DVD. Play it for a couple of weeks and sell it back to them for $25-30.

It's not much of a risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks