What's new

Enter the Dragon's Shih Kien dies aged 96 (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sad news for kung fu fans this week.

Shih was one of those guys who showed up in dozens of films and you sort of took him for granted. "The hero is only as good as the villlian he faces" is a rule of action films, which speaks volumes to how good this guy was as he was. Just as memorable as Bruce in that movie. :frowning:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"The battle with the guards was magnificent. Your skill is extraordinary. And I was going to ask you to join us"

I was seeing how quickly I could connect Shih Kien to David Carradine - Kien was dubbed by Keye Luke in Enter the Dragon and Keye Luke played Master Po in Carradine's Kung Fu series. There you go.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The guy was nearly a hundred. Hell, if I get a run like that, I'll be THRILLED! The guy had a nice, long life - no sadness from me at all.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The death of Shih Kien meant different things to me.

Obviously, Mr. Shih is well-known in the Hong Kong movie industry for his portrayals of bad guy characters (he also has one of the most evil laughs in Hong Kong movies). However, I will choose to remember Mr. Shih for his later performances as kind, grandfatherly characters (to the likes of Chow Yun-fat, Andy Lau, Tong Leung, etc.) in various HK TV dramas and movies because those were the roles in which I remember him being great at. I read that, in real life, Mr. Shih was the complete opposite of his "bad guy" persona....he doesn't smoke, drink, or use profanity, and was married to the same woman for 60 years....and wanted to be in more non-martial arts productions. Like the one in "A Better Tomorrow III"....

RIP Mr. Shih

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle
Recent bookmarks