What's new

Enter the "Buttkicker" unquote (1 Viewer)

Oscar_R

Second Unit
I don't know how I feel about this thing....
Link Removed
and most of you probably though i was being crass with that title huh?

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
This is a popular item in many Home Theaters. It gives you the tactile feedback of bass w/o the high SPLs (and potential hearing damage). Smaller, less powerful units are available from other companies as well...

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I hope to be able to provide an initial opinion next week. I've received my Buttkicker2 and am waiting for the amp, which is due Friday. I hope to have them installed and tweaked in time for movies before my SB party.

It stands to be an awesome unit, the manufacturer claims it's good down to 5 Hz!

Bear in mind that the 1000W amp most often recommended to go with it runs another $400.

John H

Second Unit
I have been using tactile transducers in my system for a few years now. My first installation was an array of 8 RBH FX80 models. (ultra high performance Aura units)
I eventually replaced the entire array with a pair of Clark Synthesis 329F units. I upgraded to a pair of Platinum models when they made their debut.
I have been using a pair of the original Buttkckers for over a year now. I started out driving each unit with a Carvin DCM1000 bridged mono @ 1000w
I now drive each BK unit with a Crown K2 bridged @ 2500w.
The step up from the RBH array to the Clarks was a large performance improvement. The Clarks are exceptional units.
The Buttkicker is king of all tactile transducers. When it comes to low frequency extension and output the Buttkicker dramatically excels. It has no peers. It is very tight and controled as well.
This is a comment on the original Buttkicker. I have no experience with the Buttkicker II. They claim it is more efficient and produces greater output. Due to it's smaller mass and reduction in piston weight I can't see it competing with the original model in the very extreme lower frequencies.
John

John H

Second Unit
Oscar,
The link in your original post shows a picture of the original Buttkicker model.
It weighs around 20lbs and is much larger then the BK2. The BK2 is much can rest in the palm of your hand. It can be seen at www.thebuttkicker.com
John

FrankB

Agent
I've had a Clark Platinum transducer for about a year. It is great for action and sci-fi movies. You feel every explosion, body slam, dinosaur footstep, etc. Terminator II is a whole new experience. I turn it way down or off completely for music listening.

It is bolted to a 2x4 I screwed to the bottom of my sofa. It runs on my LFE output from my reciever and it shakes pretty strongly down to around 35Hz. I think the sofa frame is too stiff for it to shake the sofa at very low frequencies. The padding damps out anything above 80Hz.

A single platinum unit seems plenty strong for a sofa. I have a clipping light on my amp and it stays off.

I'd like to hear more from John about the ButtKicker vs. the Clark. I know the Buttkicker has more power, but does the Clark have wider bandwidth? If you were buying again which would you get?

gene avallon

Stunt Coordinator
oh come on guys thats like buying imiation lobster meat,if things get any worse around here im going to have to secure the sofa to the floor.those two 46 plus keep pushing it around.
gene:) :) :) :) ;) ;)

John H

Second Unit
I'd like to emphasis again. My comments are on the original Buttkicker model. The Buttkicker 2's predecesor. I have no experience with the new version.
I'd like to hear more from John about the ButtKicker vs. the Clark. I know the Buttkicker has more power, but does the Clark have wider bandwidth? If you were buying again which would you get?
I installed the Clark Platinum models and Buttkickers at the same time. I compared them both for several months before I sold the Clarks.
Yes the Clarks have more upper bandwith. They are marketed as full range tactile transducers. The Clarks could not compete with the BK's in low frequency extension and output. During initial testing I fed the BK a high amplitude 10Hz sine wave. It produced it with extreme authority.
I would think a high amplitude 10Hz signal would toast the Clarks. I never fed the Clarks fixed test signals.
I went through a couple of 329's at different times during their normal program material use. Clark did honnor their warranty but told me that was it on replacements. They actually told me I was feeding them to much low frequency information and advised me to install an inline 25Hz subsonic filter and inline fuse which I did. I never blew the fuses. I thought this was strange suggestion since they already have internal protection and are rated well below 25Hz. That's childs play to the BK. They also wanted me to take them off the LFE channel and run them off my mains.
John

John H

Second Unit
oh come on guys thats like buying imiation lobster meat,if things get any worse around here im going to have to secure the sofa to the floor.those two 46 plus keep pushing it around.
gene :) :) :)
I currently use the Buttkickers in conjuction with a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's and a pair of Paradigm Servo 15's in a 2048 cu ft sealed room.
The BK's are used to augment my subwoofers low frequency tactile sensation. The subwoofers would need to be driven to ludicrous levels in proportion to the other channels to achieve this tactile feedback.
I calibrate my subwoofers combined output to 3dB below the other channels due to the RS meters inaccuracy measuring an LFE test tone compared to an RTA.
Buy no means is the Buttkicker an imitation replacement in my opinion.
John

Nick P

Second Unit
I'm with Gene on this one. Using these things is like those punks on the Fast and the Furious using Nitros to get those little cars to run 11 second quarter miles. If you want a fast car (or couch shaking) get some horsepower!!:D

FrankB

Agent
a pair of Velodyne HGS-18's and a pair of Paradigm Servo 15's
That's a lot of subwoofer power. I'm using a single Paradigm Servo 15 and the Clark Platinum. The Servo 15 can rattle windows and the dishes in the kitchen cabinet, but as you say, for more tactile feel without overblown muddy bass the transducers are the way to go.

I'd like more power in the 15-35Hz range. I've tested the unit with a signal generator and if I really crank it up I can just feel it at 15Hz, but it shuts down after a few seconds from the power (135 watts max RMS). Maybe one Clark and one Buttkicker would be the way to go. I tried putting the sofa on some foam pads, but it didn't help, it only made it less powerful at higher frequencies.

Clark does recommend running the transducer off the main channels and I think they are nuts. The special effects on the LFE channel are what I want to feel. I run my main left/right speakers as "large" specifically to suck most of the music out of the LFE channel so that most of the music bass doesn't go to the transducer. For most movies this lets me crank up the transducer to higher levels and the special effects really come thru.

As for Clark telling you that you fed them too much low frequencies and recommending a 25Hz high pass that doesn't sit well with me when they list the frequency response on their web page going down to 5Hz.

John H

Second Unit
The BK's are used to augment my subwoofers low frequency tactile sensation. The subwoofers would need to be driven to ludicrous levels in proportion to the other channels to achieve this tactile feedback.
BTW have you ever experienced an 800 ci mountain motor with a shot of NO2 juice? It's a kick in the butt! :)
I would not be so quick to dismiss the Buttkicker until you have experienced a properly setup and calibrated sytem using one or two.
John

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Well, I've got my Buttkicker2 installed. My first impression is that this is a very high quality item. This is no little whoopee cushion that buzzes underneath you. This baby (as I have it set now) moves the floor with the accuracy and authority of an excellent subwoofer, cranked. However, it does so without having to turn up the system to the insane levels that can damage hearing (with the highs) and dishes in the next room (with the lows) The effect is nicely localized. As I have it adjusted presently, it's somewhat subtle (to me, I don't think my guests will use that word to describe it) but unmistakable.

I DO NOT like having the subwoofer turned up out of balance with the rest of the speakers, so there would be no separating this kind of rumble from oppressive volume without a TT.

I believe John H's suspicions may be correct. I think that the greater mass of the original Buttkicker must be advantageous in delivering an even more powerful shake without reaching the the unit's excursion limits.

I'll admit that I was actually expecting the effect to be a bit more profound when I ordered the BK2. I think I can account for some of that as I get the level dialed in and improve upon it's present placement. It would get more help from the subwoofer (SVS 20-39PC) if I didn't need to connect the sub via speaker level for SACD use.

The verdict: I was able to add a new dimension to my HT, one that makes me grin and giggle like a kid, for under $1000. It's also the very best product I could find. What's not to love about that?

If enough guests show up in time for movies and/or demos

Sunday, I'll post the more interesting reactions here in a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks