Enron goodies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Souders, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Chris Souders

Chris Souders Stunt Coordinator

So I think I'm going to make it tomorrow to the first auction of Enron goodies. I'm particularly interested in the furniture and television products. A link to the avaliable merchandise is here:
    http://www.dovebid.com/Auctions/auct...1480_50_1.html
    Interesting stuff, hopefully it will go for cheap. Any comments on the plasmas that are up for auction?
    Chris

2. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Most of this stuff will go for close to retail based on its age. Dont expect to get a 50" plasma for $1,500.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Is anyone listening to this auction? It's on right now, the woman leading the auction is doing that fast-talking thing... pretty funny... hard to keep up though. [​IMG]

4. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

I heard that a lot of it is going over retail since its Enron and people view it more as memorabilia. At least thats what I heard on the news this morning. I was waiting a couple of weeks for this auction but now am not even getting involved. Let me know if you see any great deals. Thanks.

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

6. Jeff Loughridge

Jeff Loughridge Stunt Coordinator

I registered last week, and had it on all day yesterday, until about 9PM, and all day today. It was mostly people who have no idea what the items were worth. Prices were outrageously high. $8.00 a piece for those stinking Enron nerf bulbs and beer coolers?

Many of the people didn't have a clue what they were doing, either. When the auctioneer says "you're bidding on 1 lot of 18 monitors, that's 18 times the money," then you jack the bid up to $800, then say "Oh, No, I don't want that," when they again explain it isn't $800 for all 18, you have just wasted a lot of time. Jeez, people are just too stupid.

Last night a lot of the Tektronix TV stuff went for some reasonable prices, I just don't need any of that now. LCD monitors were way too high, Laptops too. Aerons today were going for $550-650 each. A little less in larger lots. That's too close to retail for me.

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Yeah. I've been to a few auctions with old computer equipment, and some people paid way too much, some stuff that was a few years old went for almost what the retail was on brand new similar equipment. It's almost as if some people need to "win" the auction if they've started to bid, no mater what the price. Then they end up with a 3 year old 15" monitor for $500. [​IMG]
    /Mike

8. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I noticed the same thing. Most of the Plasma 50" Monitors went for around $7500 which is not bad. All the other stuff was way to high. I was hoping to pick up some notebooks at a good price but they all went for more than I could get them locally or on Ebay.
    I called a couple of the authorized shippers/pick up places to ask about pick up, packing, and shipping costs. I used a 15" LCD monitor as an example. They were all about the same (about $200). I wonder how many people will be shocked when they find out that they will have to pay another ~$200 for pickup/packing/shipping even the small stuff. I kept this in mind when I was bidding. I bet this conversation will take place:
    "Hello"
    "Hi I won a baseball cap in the Enron auction, how much will that be to pick up"
    "$20 minimum pickup charge, $20 packing fee, and $10 shipping sir"
    "I only paid $6.50 for the hat!"
    "We can combine your winning lots in one box and pick them up in one trip"
    "I only bought the hat"
    "$20 minimum pickup charge, $20 packing fee, and $10 shipping sir" [​IMG]
    Laters,