1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Enron Documentary to Premiere Simultaneously in Theaters and on HD Net

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Erik_H, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Erik_H

Erik_H Stunt Coordinator

I was suprised to see that the new documentary about the Enron scandal, "Enron: the Smartest Guys in the Room" (which received a rave review from Ebert and Roeper this weekend) will premiere on HD Net on the same day that the film opens at the top two arthouses in Manhattan, the Lincoln Plaza and the Anjelica.

A quick Internet search revealed the reason: Mark Cuban is one of the executive producers.

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

A highly recommended movie (I saw it at a special preview a few weeks ago.) This is not a "Red State," "Blue State" thing like other politically volatile movies that we must, due to forum policies, refrain from discussing. This is about a bunch of crooks who stole from people and laughed while they did it - spanning both Republican and Democratic administrations.

For the first time I really understood what "ENRON" was (or wasn't.) If I were a resident of California I would really be angry based on what apparently caused the "Rolling Blackouts"

To me, a must-see powerful piece.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Just as a heads up, this premieres this Friday on HDNet Movies at 8p.m. and 11p.m. (EST). I'll definitely be tuning in.

Bruce

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Supporting Actor

Well, I Tivoed this Friday and watched it last night. Man was that fascinating documentary. I am curious who else saw it and what you thought of it.

I did not pay attention to the Enron Congressional hearings, but was that the first time the public was made aware of the connections between Enron and the rolling blackouts in California in 2001? Or did that information hit the papers before the Congressional hearings?

Would have loved to have seen about 30 more minutes of info. I think it could have been a little more in depth.

Peace,

DM

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I caught the HDNET premiere... upsampled SD! [​IMG]

A very good documentary, though obviously not nearly as detailed as the book upon which it was based. It included one (IMO) ill-advised "re-creation", but otherwise managed to convey the gist of what happened very well.

Everyone's heard of the Worldcoms and Enrons, but I think people would be surprised at how widespread this sort of fraud is. I work for a law firm that brings suits on behalf of defrauded shareholders against companies like Enron (and their auditors, underwriters, etc.), and I'm still amazed at the arrogant disregard for basic decency (much less the rule of law, GAAP, SEC regulations, etc.) that is evinced not only in their actions, but so brazenly in the internal communications between the principals.

Just today (and not one of our cases):

Arthur Andersen was Enron's auditor, the entity that was supposed to ensure that the company's financials were on the up-and-up, and the one responsible for shredding those tons of financial/audit documents portrayed in the documentary when the shit hit the fan (hence, the obstruction of justice). But again, AALP isn't the only bad apple, and what they did has been and is being repeated by other auditing firms on behalf of other corrupt companies around the country.

If you believe in free markets and capitalism -- and I'm certainly one who does -- you especially need to pay attention to this stuff. It's the corruption within that's the greatest danger.