Enough with The SE's already!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Ledoux, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Paul Ledoux

Paul Ledoux Auditioning

I'm getting really sick and tired of waiting sometimes years for titles to come out, finally seeing them released, buy them , only to have them re-released in Special Editions 6 months or a year later. I say if you're going to do something you should do it right the FIRST time. What do you folks think?

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

What I hate is when a title is released as a special edition and then released again as an SE. The upcoming reissue of The Sixth Sense is but one example.

3. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    Agreed. My only defense against this practice is self-control. If I see some bare-bones release come out, even if I'm dying for the movie itself, I'll wait a bit and sniff the wind to see if there are any indications of a special edition in the future. If I know a film has additional scenes shown only on television, or if I remembered seeing some "making of" special on TV, I will hold off on buying until the inevitable special edition comes out.
    Of course, I hadn't adopted this attitude when all the original Star Trek movie DVDs came out.
    Overall, I greatly prefer special editions because they add so much depth of appreciation and interest to the original film. To quote Bill Cosby from the old Fat Albert show, "...And if you're not careful, you may learn something before it's done."

4. Larry Gardner

Larry Gardner Stunt Coordinator

As a whole I agree. Except, the DVD technology is continuing to change in many areas:

1. DVD Authoring programs are improved

2. Mastering technologies are constantly being improved

3. New film elements are discovered

4. Rights to films are changing. For example, Universal relinquished overseas rights to many of their catalog films to Columbia/Tristar for distribution. That agreement ended at the end of 2001, and Universal is free to market their library as they see fit. That is why films like BTTF and others have not been released in the U.S.

Also, the DVD market was not as large as it is today. Most studios just released films to gauge the market before diving into it (e.g., DivX was going to be used by most of the studios at that time).

Now that the market has grown, titles are being re-addressed with the currrent demands of the market (extras, ...).

5. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

double dipping can get annoying at times, but oh well. Sometimes it's for the better. [​IMG]

6. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

Here is my take on it. If a film comes out in bare bones - one that I want - I will buy it. If it comes out later in a Special Edition, since I already own the film, I will not buy the SE. I think, is the extra stuff worth it on it's own? Probably not. Then, I own so many DVDs that it may take years to seeing the same DVD twice - if at all.

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

No one is forcing you to re-purchase a title when it is upgraded. If the DVD met your standards for purchasing the first time around, then you were fine with it. It's up to you to decide if it's worth the effort to rebuy the movie and unload the old disc. But why should you buying the old disc determine if an improved version is released that will be of interest to fans of the movie who haven't bought it yet.

Complaining about getting something better does not make sense. If you don't agree with the studio's re-releasing stuff, don't get them. I don't own a single Ultimate Edition, but many of my DVDs are re-releases, whether they are the first purchase (Sixth Sense VS) of a title or not (Peter Pan SE).

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Studios should concentrate on getting films on DVD before making SE's of already-released titles.

We've had 6 editions of American Pie, yet not a single Woody Woodpecker DVD has been released.

Fox is working on a 5-star of Alien, yet Sunrise isn't on DVD yet. Blackhawk or Kino once offered to release it for Fox (Since Image handled the Chaplin films for Fox), but they didn't.

Do the SE's when there's a considerable amount of silents, cartoons, and other vintage titles have been released.

Disney is the only company with cartoon DVD's out (WB's Tom & Jerry DVD doesn't really count nor does MGM's Pink Panther cartoon DVD since they're just laserdisc/TV re-issues.)

9. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Patrick,
    What you are proposing is, for the most part, a ridiculous pipe dream. I understand your (and others) desire to have silents and vintage cartoons released. But you refuse to recognize the multitude of factors that go into the decision of what to release. For example,

10. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I really don't upgrade that much. I upgraded my Almost Famous disc, since I bought the original to tide me over before Bootleg, and I also bought the American Pie U.E, because I had the rated version before, and wanted to get the unrated.

That's about it...

11. TimJS

TimJS Second Unit

Chad,
    I think the argument here is that instead of mining a title for the 3rd, 4th, 5th time, etc., incurring the expenses to do so (remastering audio, enhancing some feature, etc.) &, in the process, irritating the consumer that purchased the last incarnation of the title...the studio should invest in the expense to allow it's licensing folks to draw up the contract for a Criterion, Image, or Kino to issue some presumably unprofitable titles like Sunrise, Big Parade, etc., and earn prestige & good will among consumers of those titles.
    It does not/should not/& has not always been a units shipped/profit $ earned equation. Otherwise there would be no Criterion, no Kino, no Image, & no Anchor Bay releases beyond Public Domain titles...so one hopes very much that it is not a "pipe dream".
    Regards, Tim
    ps. I'd hate to 'look at the financials of releasing either White Heat or Freddie Got Fingered !

12. Chad Gregory

Chad Gregory Supporting Actor

Tim I think you missed my point.
    Earning prestige and good will among these smaller number of consumers of these titles, unfortunately is not high on the priority list for most companies. They are in a very small minority of the total customer base and will not be able to make up the financial costs of restoration, mastering, and production costs.
    I too hope the day will come, but for now I will set my sights on probable rereleases, such as early Paramount/Disney films in anamorphic with SE materials.
    -Chad

13. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

A 'bare bones' title barely gets a sniff from me anymore. It just indicates an SE is in the wind. The only instance of being upfront about a forthcoming SE is when Dreamworks announced the future Almost Famous set--albeit without details--when the first release was announced.

14. Aaron Thomas

Aaron Thomas Stunt Coordinator

The only OTHER instance of being upfront about a forthcoming SE is when Kevin Smith announced that there would eventually be a Dogma SE when the original release was announced.

But that's about it... unless Brian Singer takes the time for an X-Men "SE", which he said he wanted to do at some later point when the current X-Men SE was announced.

But for right now, that's about it.

Aaron Thomas

15. Doug Pyle

Doug Pyle Second Unit

Doug
    Well, it all depends. I think MGM is fair and does a good job of pricing movie-only catalog releases so they can be sold at the mid-to-low teens, while offering some great SE's at a higher yet competitive price. In fact their pricing is amazing, and I've bought far more films than I expected because of this! I'm less forgiving when the movie-only release (e.g. Universal and Paramount) is priced as high as high-quality SE DVDs by competitors' -- or even near the price of their own subsequent SE releases.

There's a right way and a wrong way. When the SE is truly an upgrade in source material or transfer, with supplements not previously available, I have no complaints about the re-release. I'm very happy to see those take advantage of the technology improvements. On the other hand, when the SE is just a repackage of the same transfer with an extra PR-style feature or two, then no thanks.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

17. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Personally i'm passive about the whole subject. If they release a film I like on dvd with nothing, i'll buy it, then when they release a better version with lots of extras, i'll buy that too, what the hell, it's only 20 bucks, doesn't bother me in the slightest.
    I'm being serious BTW, not sarcastic.