Enough with the RP82 hype. If you didn't get one - don't worry about it.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Zos, Feb 15, 2003.

1. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

I think by all accounts the RP82 is a great player. I also think it has been the subject of a kind of consumer frenzy. There were several posts from those insisting it had better picture quality than the XP50 - even though the XP50 had the exact same video components.
    Then, when the first shootout came out and they put the RP82 at the top the frenzy went into overdrive, as you can see from Ebay prices and the like.
    THEN there is a follow up to the shootout where they say the XP30 (a step down from the XP50) is identical in picture quality to the RP82, yet the frenzy continues. Why? Maybe because once a ball like that gets rolling, it just keeps going.
    (I'm not trying to criticize those who saw a difference in picture quality between the XP50 and the RP82. If you saw it, you saw it. But I find the fact that the shootout concluded there was no difference - at least with the XP30, is something XP owners should find very reassuring.)
    I tried hard to find an RP82 but it proved impossible (no, I'm not going to pay $300 plus for one). I bought an XP50, but the idea that it had inferior picture quality (this was before the second shootout) to the RP82, plus the fact that it is a glossy silver (uck) plus the fact that it was shipped in a damaged condition, convinced me to send it back and try the CP72.
    I did not want to get the CP72 over the RP82, because I did not want a multi-changer player. I just wanted a single player machine and considered the changer a nuisance. But the CP72 was said to have the same picture quality of the RP82 AND by buying a returned unit, I was able to get one in solid BLACK (much, much nicer looking than the XP50).
    And now that I've had a multi-changer player, I discover that I would never want to go back. I do a lot of picture tweaking, and it is nice to have AVIA and four other demo discs in my machine already to go. So it turns out I ended up with the right player for me in the end anyway, even though I didn't get the RP82.
    So what's my point? If you were able to get an RP82 before the price got jacked up, good for you. Enjoy it.
    If you weren't able to get one - don't worry about it. There are Panasonic and Denon players with the exact same picture quality out there, and at least some of the Panasonic players can be had for much cheaper.

2. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

Are you talking yourself into (or out of) something?

3. James Zos

No. Just trying to reassure those who feel they missed out on the RP82 boat that there are viable alternatives out there, maybe keep them from stressing out over it like I did. Do I come off as "defensive" or something? I don't get your implication.

4. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

not defensive but like you were trying to justify something

just wondering.. did they raise the price of the RP82? I bought one when it first came out and it was $200 then

5. James Zos

I believe they are going for $300 and up on ebay now.