What's new

Enough with the big crap! (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Yeah, in the next year but what after that?

"The company plans to build between 600 and 1,000 units next year at its plant in Garland, Texas and it's hoping that the vehicle will find customers among tradesmen like landscapers, carpenters, and brick or stone contractors, and home builders".

What is this gonna spark? Ford coming out with a bigger SUV called the Explosion?

I'm not an enviornmentalist by any means, but come on. I'm sick of rock chips and geting cut off cause the drivers can't see who they're running over. Door dings because trucks taking up 2 parking spots because in the 80's most parking lots went to compact spaces and nobody's realized they need to change them back.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I was just going to post that link. This is absolutely disgusting. Why don't we all just drive tanks with gigantic steal beams on them to ensure that anytime we ever make a mistake on the road, that we take out as much life and destroy as much as possible. :rolleyes I hear ya :emoji_thumbsup:

Until people start learning how to drive properly, we need to make safer cars, and not "safer" in terms of JUST protecting the driver.

EDIT: I'm sure this will be used more like a dump truck, but I fear that people will use them as "excursion" vehicles as well :frowning:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
dunno 'bout you guys, but my next new car will be a SMART.
700cc 3 cyl turbo diesel? 60+mpg? yes please.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
I can see it now.... some bozo with money is going to lower it, put some funky rims and tint the windows... :D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

Hear hear. I've always hated the concept of SUVs. At least with MPVs, you can sort-of understand the reason, if the owner has a large family and needs the extra seats, rather than a second vehicle. But SUVs seating the usual 5 are just plain selfish. Lord it over the rest of us, eh? Get stuck behind one, you can't see anything ahead, making it that much more dangerous.

And this is a dang-blasted "city-state", there is no off-road driving at all, all roads are well-paved etc, there's no justification at all for 4WD monsters. At least the Malaysians have some excuse (to get around rubber plantations etc), no one in this country does. And being a small city-state, space is at a premium and parking spaces aren't exactly huge.

Sorry, rant over.

mark alan

Supporting Actor
I saw the advantages of large vehicles driving to work this morning. You have to go through a tunnel, and traffic always backs up. There was a little tiny festiva-type vehicle, with a semi behind it, both stopped. Apparently, the semi didn't even see the little vehicle because it started moving forward and the little vehicle didn't. The semi hit the small vehicle and started pushing it. The small vehicle was literally disappearing under the semi. The guy in the car turned around, and I have never seen such fear on a persons face. He was finally able to pull loose from the semi and get ahead, but he was about 2 seconds from death.

That would not have happened if he had been driving a big honkin SUV.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

Yeah it's all because his car was too little:rolleyes:
It's amazing people managed to make it all those years prior to SUV's.

The problem in that case is that semi's and trucks like that should not be allowed on the road during rush hour.
A. They should have already delivered their stuff so it is there before things open.
B. If they didn't do A, then they can wait 'til later because they've already missed the point, which is A.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Actually SUVs are not safer for the driver than cars because the SUV is more likely to roll over than a car is. You are more likely to die in a SUV than in a car. Now in the case of a collision between a SUV and a car, the SUV may be safer but is more likely to kill the driver of the other vehicle!

So SUV drivers trade overall safety for more protection in certain types of accidents but at the cost of not only being less safe overall but also being more dangerous to other drivers.

In addition if everyone would follow the same logic that having a larger/heavier vehicle than average is the best option it would only be a few years before everyone is driving trucks bigger than a H2!

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
I drive an SUV and I like it. It is roomy, good for hauling and even better I can comfortably take my family on vacation. I must be really, really selfish. Lets start making over generalizations about people who drive corvettes again... :rolleyes:

But back to the topic of this thread, I do agree that the CXT does look too large for consumer driving without a special license. For some reason, to me, this has NBA players' new favorite car written all over it.

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
May I please ask in advance anyone pro-SUV not respond and just let these folks have a field-day of misinformation ;) We don't need another SUV debate.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Thanks Mike for help keeping this thread on track.

Now back to our delusions on actual door dings, rock chips, and dealers who sell them telling me first hand, the main reason people buy them for, is so they can sit up higher and the feeling of being "in control more". Not I have a family or I haul a ton of crap around. It also explains why they put fancy wheels and low profile tires for the off roading and hauling they use it for when there not at the mall taking up all the compact spaces on the weekends.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Boy, that behemoth is going to get a bumper sticker, for sure.:)

http://www.changingtheclimate.com/

At $100k/pop, I can't imagine too many will end up on the road. But, in any case, the fewer the better. Plus, I think a larger gross-weight vehicle such as that will require a different license, which ought to keep some of the poseurs away.

Interesting MPG- my Dad's Peterbilt 379x Semi can manage 6.2mpg at 70mph loaded to 60k pounds.

Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks