Enough amplification?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Serge Ch, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Serge Ch

Serge Ch Agent

1. My Paradigm Studio 60 speakers shipping: http://paradigm.com/Website/SiteRefe...udioSpecs.html

2. I own 8 year old Sony mini Hi-Fi component system MHC-C90. At that time it was Sony's top of the line $900 mini system. It's rated in the manual at 100watt/6ohm.

Don't laugh guys, I know, this mini system is not up to Studio 60 speakers. The question is could this mini system drive the speakers for a couple of month without making any damage to speakers, before I get decent receiver and CD player? Another words, could this mini system deliver at least good 50watt/8ohm? Because I've heard that underpowered amplifier could damage speakers. My guess it could run the speakers ok...

All thoughts will be appreciated.

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

we do what we gotta do...it's not so much that an underpowered receiver will damage the speakers, its that pushing a receiver or an amp past its capabilities can result in clipping which can, if sufficiently severe, cause damage. keep your listening levels reasonable while you're waiting. you might be quite pleasantly surprised at how nice things will sound with your Paradigms and that old Sony.

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

As always, Chu is the voice of reason.

I would concur with his comments. Just don't drive the 60's at high levels and you should be fine until you are able to purchase another receiver or seperates combination.

Sometimes we just can't do it all at once and have to make changes to our systems in segments. Your situation is a classic case of that pathway.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

upgrading the spousal unit is usually more costly...just a joke fellas [​IMG]

5. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

6. Serge Ch

Serge Ch Agent

Well, guys, I got my speakers - Studio 60. I hooked them up to my Sony mini-system and THEY SOUND SWEET! I had power concern but I see I can only turn the volume knob maximum to 25-30% of what's available - it's already very loud!

I have Harman Kardon 7000 receiver on order - I got it at very good discount. It's rated at REAL 110 watt, but now I am wondering: do I really need it? May be the sound will be better or I could use it's surround features, otherwise it seems my Sony has plenty of power, build-in quality CD-changer and equaliser?