What's new

Enough already, with paying More for Blue Rays (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Its bad enough we have to pay for DVDs when we want all the extras on new film,But not only are tv shows coming out only dvd ,but when they come out on both DVD and Blue ray ,the Blue Ray is 20.00 more for a set

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
You have to pay more for a better product. If you buy a used car, you'll pay less than you would if you bought a brand new Corvette, even though they're both cars. Other analogies I was thinking about going with before I settled on the "car" bit: Cereal in bags vs. cereal in boxes Riding lawnmower vs. push lawnmower First class vs. coach on an airplane, and Blu-rays vs. DVDs. Oh, wait...

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
they are fighting there own plan to get more people switch over to BR(and of Course re buying everything yet again) If they want more people to get BR,They should Be cheaper than DVD ,,Instead of including dvds in BR sets(Disney comes to mind) How about not doing dvds of these titles at all ,then People would be forced to buy Blue Ray players (if they even sell dvd only players anymore) Of course this is not fair either ,and there are still too many who see no need for Blue Ray The worst thing is greedy crappy studios like Viacom ,whose plan is to not release BR's of a lot of new TV titles (Good Wife) ,and refuse to release the BR ,only till enough people buy there overpriced dvds and want you to double dip if and when they do BR's They have to be the worst studio ,charging 100$ for a Single season of Perry Mason

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
Okay, I don't really understand what you're trying to say, but FYI: no individual season Perry Mason DVDs on Amazon are more expensive than like $30.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I am talking about the list price,and the seasons are broke up into two parts ,so while 30.00 sounds fine ,60 doesn't

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm only going to guess, but stuff came out a long time ago on DVD. Then with the advent of blu-ray, titles were being re-issued with much higher quality images. With the popularity of many titles, the fans of those films and TV shows naturally asked the studios to release them on blu-ray, even though they were already on DVD. It's not exactly the studio's fault. Technology is changing fast and in the history of home entertainment, has there ever been such a period of constant change? Its like the computer world or say cell phones. Every two years, your computer is going to be made obsolete. It still works, its just not as fast. Or a form of connectivity has changed forcing you to upgrade. Standard TV is gone now and you have to have an HDTV if you buy a new TV. Also, another pet peeve of mine is with the advent of Home Video, we are such a lucky generation. 35 years ago, who would have thought we could own movies? It's not a right, but a priviledge in a sense. The movie studios realized there is a market and slowly and tepidly started to sell VHS tapes. They never originally wanted to make movies available for home. They made movies to be exhibited in theaters. Home video led to such a massive market, it grew and grew. And studios try stuff like extras that Criterion innovated. It is now a demand, but back in the early 90's, no studio would want to do that. Now its called a bare bones release when there are no extras. Back in the early dark ages, all you got was the movie! Either the audieince demanded it, or marketing saw it as a nice little bonus to make the disc even more desirable. It was probably both. Home video and home theater was a pleasure of the wealthy, its now a pleasure most people can enjoy. We should appreciate what we have! I hate to sound like an old man. I'm really excited to have so much stuff avaialble today. And in such high quality most of the time. I know there was the Hitchcock and Bond thread where there was such an outcry for better remasters. But looking at the disc, while they could be that last 10% better, they really do look pretty impressive if you stand back and look at the big picture.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
well some are cheaper than that now,but they haven't been this low for a long while ,and like I said thats for only half a season ,and they aren't Blu Rays either ,not that I think someone could tell

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Peter Neski said:
they are fighting there own plan to get more people switch over to BR(and of Course re buying everything yet again) If they want more people to get BR,They should Be cheaper than DVD ,,Instead of including dvds in BR sets(Disney comes to mind) How about not doing dvds of these titles at all ,then People would be forced to buy Blue Ray players (if they even sell dvd only players anymore) Of course this is not fair either ,and there are still too many who see no need for Blue Ray The worst thing is greedy crappy studios like Viacom ,whose plan is to not release BR's of a lot of new TV titles (Good Wife) ,and refuse to release the BR ,only till enough people buy there overpriced dvds and want you to double dip if and when they do BR's They have to be the worst studio ,charging 100$ for a Single season of Perry Mason
As the saying goes, "Time heals all wounds." Wait for the new releases you want for about six months (I know, delayed gratification is not a common trait among us Blu collectors) and you will find it on Amazon for probably no more, if not a little less, than its DVD counterpart would cost. That may not work as well for whole season t.v. boxes, but it sure works for single movies.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by Peter Neski
they are fighting there own plan to get more people switch over to BR(and of Course re buying everything yet again) If they want more
people to get BR,They should Be cheaper than DVD ,,Instead of including dvds in BR sets(Disney comes to mind) How about not doing
dvds of these titles at all ,then People would be forced to buy Blue Ray players (if they even sell dvd only players anymore) Of course this is not fair either ,and there are still too many who see no need for Blue Ray
The worst thing is greedy crappy studios like Viacom ,whose plan is to not release BR's of a lot of new TV titles (Good Wife) ,and refuse
to release the BR ,only till enough people buy there overpriced dvds and want you to double dip if and when they do BR's
They have to be the worst studio ,charging 100$ for a Single season of Perry Mason
Peter, may I ask where you are. I believe that may help us to better understand your position.
As to DVDs included with Blu-ray discs, as well as other variants, Disney is probably the single studio for which this is important.
Blu-ray for the home theater. DVD for a kid's room. If one has a child sick in bed, some of the best medicine is a Disney DVD.
RAH

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Of course its stupid for me a former laser disc and DVD buyer to complain about prices of BR's When so many titles end up under 10.00$ The Thing I don't like is ,studios making us pay for dvds too and worst yet ,Having titles come out only on dvd,because they think older B&W titles aren't worth a BR,The looney Tunes mess is example of that. I get the Idea of the Disney 5 pack,a dvd,a BR,a 3d BR,a BR for extras and a Digital copy I just don't want to buy and store all that for the two BR's Are all the extras going to be on the Lincoln 2BR set or do I have to get the 4 disc set?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The answer is quite simple, actually. Don't buy what you find too expensive. We all have the power of our own purse strings. We vote with our wallets. Don't buy Disney discs from retail. Pick them up used on Half.com or Amazon Marketplace or at a local pawn shop or second hand store. For me, I know what my price point is for Disney product. And that price point is a lot different than other films. I'm also okay with paying more for Star Trek product, including both TV and theatrical content. It's the value I put on the material. Now, back to Perry Mason, which you mentioned up thread: Everything from season 2 forward has had between 12 and 16 episodes per volume. You can find the early seasons on DVD right now for mid to high teens. The more recently released product is more expensive, naturally. In fact, using DVD Price Search, you can find every volume (except 8.2) for under $30. There's also a Season 1-7 package for $261...which is about $18 per volume. There are a lot of ideas in your posts and a lot of them are valid for conversation, Peter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks