1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dan*T, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Just picked up the first season. I have a feeling that every episode is the syndicated version. Oh well, despite the music cuts, I still enjoy it, and laugh quite a bit[​IMG]

Unfortunately, I think Fox has given up on a second season[​IMG]

2. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

All the more reason to license this and "The Fall Guy" out and let Shout! Factory take over.

3. David Levine

David Levine Supporting Actor

Shout wouldn't be able to clear the music either.

Under current arraignments, WKRP is essentially "unclearable".

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Unclearable because it's too expensive under the current legal set-up, or unclearable for other reasons?

5. David Levine

Mostly WAY too expensive. Plus some songs just aren't available at any price.

6. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    This is why they need to change the rules.

One thing I don't get is that if some songs could be cleared then for broadcast, why are they unavailable at any price now? Did the owners not like the context in which they were used?

7. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

This whole thing is really making me sad.
    I'm watching it for the first time, and really, really enjoying it. I want season 2, and the remaining seasons to be released as well. I want to complete this series. I tell ya Fox has to be the worst at letting fans of series down. I understand the music substitutions because there is no way around it. I also understand why fans of the show will have nothing to do with it because of the cuts. I for one won't mind just as long as I can finish it. Darn near halfway through the set, and I just bought it today[​IMG]

On a brighter note, I saw the sales rank at Amazon last week was in the 200's. I don't know if it's cause of the price cut or if it continually tends to sell well. Here's to hoping there will be another release.

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I would rather the show die on the vine than continue to be bastardized.

And that goes for every TV show ever made, even the ones I dislike.

9. Tony S

Tony S Stunt Coordinator

In case anyone cares, WGN is airing this show on Sunday nights (2 episodes), and this Sunday they start season 2. I've got my dvd set.

10. Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz Stunt Coordinator

Matt Kozlowski
    American Life TV has been airing the show for awhile now with much of the music intact and many of the episodes appear to have scenes restored that were cut from the 80's syndication package (can't say for sure if the eps. are uncut but a couple episodes I have on tape from the 80's, "Out To Lunch" and "Real Families" definitely had additional scenes). I had a bunch on DVR but they recently got wiped out when my wife inadvertently set a season pass for the olympics. The WGN episodes definitely appear to be cut and the "Date With Jennifer" episode even included the "Hot Blooded" music substitution from the Season 1 DVD set. Problem with American Life TV is that they show 1 episode a week, go out of sequence, and keep showing season 1 episodes over and over ("Turkeys Away" has been aired 3 or 4 times - interesting to note is that the content is the same as the S1 DVD so it appears unedited but the Pink Floyd song is still present...and there's an intro segment with Gary Sandy from a later season tacked on the beginning).
    Anyway, seeing some of the later season episdoes on AmLife TV is very discouraging when you see the volume of contemporary music they used on the show. It makes me think that the chances are very slim we'll ever see an uncut version on DVD (or a semi-cut one for that matter).

11. ChrisCook

ChrisCook Screenwriter

12. David Levine

Yup. And he NAILED it.

"The syndicated masters probably don't use as many master music tracks, so there wouldn't be as much to replace/clear. But you wouldn't really want to use syndicated masters, because they're shorter than the original episodes, due to the number of commercials needed.

And processing from the original film is far too costly. Hundreds of thousands of dollars to create new masters from the original film.

So between the visual re-mastering and the music clearances... There's no way that DVD release would make money. Ever.

Not looking so hot for WKRP in Cincinnati. Good thing it isn't one of ours."

13. Stephen Bowie

Stephen Bowie Stunt Coordinator

Everything on American Life is time-compressed, so theoretically those WKRP could be uncut ... but whatever songs are intact will be in the wrong pitch. You can't win.

14. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    What original film? This is a taped show. He didn't exactly "nail" it with that regard.

15. Matt.Koz

Matt.Koz Stunt Coordinator

Matt Kozlowski

That's how I noticed the time compression. It sounded like the Chipmunks sing Classic Rock.

16. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Forget making new masters of it. Crap, I'd watch it in black and white if need be.
    Despite all the hoopla, I really find it hard to believe that the first season tanked in sales. If that's the case then classic tv on dvd is truly dead.

17. David Levine

It didn't tank - it did solid numbers. I think part of the resistance by the studio is the backlash over all the music issues.

18. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

Exactly. They were planning the second season, but they decided that the music was, as I heard it described, "too costly to keep in and too much trouble to take out."

(Not that any fan should apologize for the controversy over the first season; it was well-deserved -- remember, they didn't just cut music, they cut whole scenes with music in them, including the whole climactic scene of one episode ("Young Master Carlson") )

Also, starting in the second season and continuing through the other seasons, the show started doing more and more scenes that were entirely or partly accompanied by music. And since most of those shows don't have separate music and dialogue tracks, Fox would have the choice of either paying for the music or cutting the scene. In season 4 there's one scene that is entirely intertwined with "Come Together" by The Beatles. Fox could just about get away with the first season because the DJs would usually turn off the music before the talking started. That no longer applies as the series goes on.

Oh, and American Life and WGN appear to be using the exact same package, the one that is distributed by Fox and was prepared by MTM back in the '90s when they nuked the show's music. The first season had the most severe music changes; the fourth season had most (but not all) the music intact. And some of the episodes are cut syndication versions, but most are longer. So as WGN gets into the later seasons you'll hear more music.

19. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I had heard rumors that WGN had original music, but they are not.

This show is effectively suppressed in its original form by the Music Rights Monster. This beast must be slain by any means necessary.

20. Rob P S

Rob P S Cinematographer

rob
    So are the original syndicated reruns still floating around or have they all been destroyed?