What's new

Enough already Fox. Are we EVER going to see WKRP released? (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Now now. Don't get rediculous. :frowning:

Anybody would tell you the actor who plays Sawyer on LOST would be a much better choice for Rhett Butler. "Frankly my dear 'Miss Drama Queen', I don't give a damn."

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Forget this - this technology is going to be used to create adult entertainment. Jessica Alba vs Marilyn Monroe....

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'd guess (and it's nothing more than that) that there's no problem in putting a clip on Amazon because it exists solely a commercial to sell the CD. Yes, putting the song on a DVD is like a commercial too but the sole purpose of the clip on Amazon is to sell the CD. When they put a song on the DVD, it's being used for the benefit of the TV show or movie as well.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

The Amazon example is used to help a customer sample the actual audio product. Just like you can open a book and read a page in a bookstore. The music is the product you are sampling & buying.

But when a song is licensed for use in a movie, the film producer is selecting the song to be used as a part of his story. He uses the music (along w/ actors, sets, wardrobe, etc.) to create an entirely new product (his film) which he stands to profit from when he markets it.

The song publisher is saying "if you think my song is valuable to your story, pay me a royalty for its use". As you can see from the WKRP debacle, eliminating the song from the story proves it had some value.

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor
song substitutions are one thing - Is it true some dialog has been swapped with new dialog? They did that in syndication, but what about these new ones, anybody see dialog subsitution?
I'm curious when 2nd season comes out, hopefully, all the music on Rip Tide will be intact, but I'm not counting on it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Let's get Steve Jobs on board and work with Fox. If he can convince EMI to distribute songs free from DRM's, maybe he can work out some ideas. Someday they could sell WKRP on the iTunes store anyway.....and the episodes would be advertisements for the songs themselves that you can buy on iTunes.

I wasn't serious when the thought occurred, but it has a certain appeal. Yea babies!

Chi Chi Rodrigweez

Auditioning
Real Name
Albert
Posted by Corey3rd: On a TV show, they play a few seconds of the song. Did WKRP play every minute of Pink Floyd's Dogs? How long did Hot Blooded play? But if you hear the songs and enjoy them, you'll pick up Animals and The Foreigner greatest hits CD.

This is precisely the reason why I purchased the Pink Floyd Animals LP waaaaay back when WKRP originally aired. I wasn't even aware of the album at the time, but that scene inspired me to seek it out and buy it. 'Glad I did...it turned out to be 'Floyds most underrated album IMO (but that's an argument for another thread/board :cool: ).

So my question is: why couldn't the licensing costs be offset by advertising the music heard on the DVD. Why couldn't FOX say "charge us a lower rate, and in exchange we'll promote the heck out the music." And in turn run a disclaimer after each episode saying "this episode featured music by (insert band/song/album here)...if you would like hear more, go to suchandsuch.com and download the music." Why not flyer inserts touting the same? Heck, I'd even sit through forced ads on the DVD itself if that allowed for the orginal tunes to remain in place. The music publishers, record companies, artists...either one or all of them are missing out on potential exposure/sales here.

"I'm Hot Blooded" indeed over this mess.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They could have if they wanted to. They wanted to take the easy way out. They feel no show prior to 1990 is worth any extra effort in this regard.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments. It's too bad no one had the passion for this program like the producers of Freaks and Geeks had for their show. I guess we got spoiled, and then let down when no other show was presented this way.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads up Linda. I was able to tune into the last 15 minutes via webcast of the Soundcheck radio show. I must have missed the Hugh Wilson portion of the show.

I heard the phone interview with Randy Salas and some listeners who called in. The core of what everyone here wants to know is summed up by one caller who asked: Why can't they use 30 second clips of music on the DVDs. It would be great promotion for the artists and would generate interest in the music.

Randy Salas answers that you'd think it was the record companies or artists holding it up. It's not, it actually the music publishers. They hold onto the intellectual property. If you want to use the song, then you pay them the $30 to $40 thousand for the song. It's too much money for this DVD release, so they had to do the substitutions.

The host and callers agree that the thing that makes the scene work when Les is preparing for his date with Jennifer is Hot Blooded. It suited the moment and has lived on as a cultural piece of history, or words to that effect.

The show's host does go on to comment and play a clip from the most iconic moment of the show; He says the Turkey show was all intact, the entire Turkey sequence with Les reporting he meant.

Hopefully the whole Soundcheck radio episode is downloadable so we can hear the whole show.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Is there any place we can read the transcript from this webcast? I missed it and would love to read it in its entirety.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sure Linda!

Elena, Linda and all interested, the interview and show is available for download as an MP3 at the Soundcheck website: http://www.wnyc.org/shows/soundcheck...des/2007/05/03

There wasn't a whole lot more information and Hugh Wilson was not there. The host and Randy Salas talk about how Hugh Wilson got those songs on the show but were not aware of the possibility of homevideo and the implications for the music industry and DVD's.

They did play clips of the Pink Floyd "Dogs" scene and the radio contest where short bits of songs and listeners guess what the songs and artists are. So you get to hear them before and after the substitutions. Well worth the effort to download or listen to on your iPod or computer.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I just finished listening to the entire webcast and I'm still not going to be picking up this release. Unless Target drops the price down to $19.99 or evehn lower, I seriously doubt I'll be purchasing these sets ... it would be one thing if they replaced just the music but Fox didn't stop there. They decided to chop out entire scenes. Since they resorted to this act, FGox should have dropped the price on the set down to $9.99 because it surely isn't worth it. I'm just going to purchase the complete unedited series off eBay for a nominal fee ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks