Enola Gay Friendly DVD thread

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven K, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    I put in a vote for "Fat Man and Little Boy" and "Hiroshima".
    PS: just a light-hearted thread [​IMG]

2. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Wasn't that a song by OMD?

3. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Looking forward to seeing this bird again in the National Air and Space Museum's new facility.

4. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

5. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

Yes, it was the name of a song by OMD, after it was the name of the plane that dropped the bomb, and probably after it was the name of the woman whom the plane was named after.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

would 'the manhattan project' count? [​IMG]

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

While not exactly the same thing, I saw Midway on AMC last night. Ensign George Gay was rescued, so I guess Midway is a Gay-friendly movie. [​IMG]

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Bock's Car, the Nagasaki mission plane, is in Dayton OH at the AF museum. They also have the only surviving XB-70 there. As impressive as the DC Air and Space museum if you ever go to Dayton. www.atomictourist.com/afm.htm

10. Jeremy Jones

Jeremy Jones Stunt Coordinator

I wish that people would quit being so upset about this. I have nothing against the Enola Gay people. I myself am a Spirit of St. Louis person. My question is, should Enola Gay people be able to adopt? [​IMG]

11. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

Anyone who is a fan of the National Air and Space Museum should make an appointment to tour the Paul E. Garber Facility when they are in the D.C. area. This is the facility where they do all of the restoration work on the aircraft for the museum and they have hundreds of treasures there. I was there in the mid-80's when the Enola Gay was undergoing restoration, long before it was put on exhibit at the museum. Though we weren't really suppose to touch, I have a picture of myself standing next to the plane with my hand on the fusilage. It was too big an opportunity not to make some sort of connection with such a significant piece of history. I'm glad they did the later exhibit so others could have a similar experience. I believe the plane, fully assembled, is destined for the new wing of the museum out at Dulles airport.

12. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

Some other really good air museums are: Robins AFB, a few miles south of Macon, GA a short way off I-75; The Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola, FL and the air museum at Balboa Park in San Diego.

13. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I second the Naval Aviaton Museum. As the son of a Naval Aviator who currently is a volunteer there, I've been there many, many times. Its a great museum because you can actually touch most of the aircraft. You can even work the flaps and turn the props. I believe it is second only to the Smithsonian in number of aircraft.

For a simply unbelievable experience, go to Hutchinson, Kansas, aka the middle of nowhere. The Cosmosphere there houses some of the finest spacecraft restorers in the world. In addition to recently restoring Liberty Bell 7, they also helped with the sets in Apollo 13. They have a great collection of American and Russian spacecraft. If I remember correctly they have the backup to Sputnik. Also, they have an SR-71 mounted on a pedastal in their lobby and you can walk up and touch the nose. Truly awesome.

14. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm not an Englishman but I play one on TV....

The RAF museum in Duxford, England is very compelling also.

16. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I didn't know that Bock's Car was at Wright-Patterson AFB. I must definitely make sure I factor in a trip there the next time I'm in the vicinity. Somewhat ironic that one of the two planes that dropped the bombs is there because the Enola Gay's pilot Paul Tibbetts also lives in Dayton.

17. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

18. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

the reference to Duck and Cover made me think of The Iron Giant.

19. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Sweet Enola Gay, son! Get me Colonel Hapablab!
    Speaking of the infamous Duck And Cover short, for those of you who don't have the Criterion Dr. Strangelove Laserdisc or The Atomic Cafe, here's a place you can see it in real streaming video (you'll have to scroll down a bit...):
    The Internet Moving Pictures Archive
    This site is loaded with de-classified military shorts and educational films now in the public domain - many from the 40's and 50's. Very good quality transfers for the web.
    Many can be streamed in real time, and some are even downloadable!