What's new

Eno Remasters will be SACDs! (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
This development is "driving me backwards". No sack-dee's, no sale! When "cindy tells me", they's got's proper releases, I'll get me some.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I'm very disappointed, too. I have the feeling they'll never release them as SACDs. I've ordered Green World, and will let you know after I've compared it to the old CD version. If there's no significant improvement, I won't buy the rest either.

Why don't I think they'll release them as SACDs?
1) Pop SACD isn't taking off (I'm not trying to start another one of those threads here);
2) MCH SACD seems to be the only viable format, and because these were just a straight transfer via DSD of the 2CH masters, they don't have the separate data to create MCH mixes).

Cheers.
Doug

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Doug, pop SA-CD might be doing better in some places? I was @ Amazon France over the weekend and there's a bunch of French pop released on SA-CD that I had not seen before. Anyway, I keep up hope that the European market might drag the U.S. market along...

Jesse Lawson

Agent
I bought the four reissues yesterday and have listened to Taking Tiger Mountain. While I no longer have the old version to make a direct comparison, I did think it sounded clearer in general. For instance, the resonance of the drums comes through a lot more. The only specific detail I didn't remember hearing before was "the sound that they heard" in "Back in Judy's Jungle," and it was quite worth hearing. :laugh:

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Jesse, someone (on an Eno newsgroup, if I remember) wrote that he thought the remasters sounded better, but when he went back to the original CDs, they sounded about the same.

There's a psychological effect here that I've wondered about in regard to myself. If I've listened casually to a CD for years, then listen more intensely to a remaster, I might hear more just because I'm paying more attention. Maybe there's no difference in reality. That's why an A-B comparison, while still not scientifically sound, is a better method.

Doug

Jesse Lawson

Agent

Whether this means that the sound is the same or that the details were a little more obscure in the old version is, I suppose, open to question (or better research than mine :wink: ).

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i (re)bought agw today. 25% off at borders. it was made in holland.

cover art is printed very nicely but there are no additional liner notes beyond what it's ever had. i haven't had these discs for so long i can't remember how good or bad the old ones sounded, so i can't offer anything there. didn't mind rebuying this, though, as it needed revisiting after many years of not hearing it. i'll probably get the other 3, soon, as well. agw was actually never my favorite of those 4 albums, but i thought i should probably get it first this go 'round.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Sorry to keep reviving this tired old thread, but I thought you'd like to know:

Enoweb reports that Everything Merges w/ the Night on Another Green World has a glitch. Apparently, the first part of the song has been chopped off. It's going to be fixed, but who knows when or how to identify the fixed discs. Perhaps other problems will pop up.

This news, along w/ the general lack of enthusiasm from those who've heard the remasters, has prompted me to cancel my order.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks