Enjoying Elton John Live at MSG, in DTS!! 16:9 also!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan Kurland, Dec 12, 2001.

1. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

Just got this yesterday, and watched a few songs. In DTS the vocals are isolated to center channel, which sounds somewhat rough, but you can certainly make out clearly. The sound otherwise is fantastic. He plays all of his hits. Some are annoying duets, but the best is the finale "Don't go breaking my heart" with Kiki Dee - flown in from Britain for the occasion (and looking good in leather) The picture, despite 16:9 is somewhat soft, or at least not as sharp as the Bruce Springsteen.

I'm checking out the DD mix tonight.

A definite purchase if you're a fan.

2. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

it's out on dvd?where?

3. Alan Kurland

I purchased it the other day at Newbury Comics. I haven't seen it at Best Buy though.

4. KevinJ

KevinJ Supporting Actor

i picked it up yesterday and watched it last night and the picture isn't soft at all and there's no problem with the vocals being in the center channel btw

5. Alan_Horner

Alan_Horner Stunt Coordinator

There doesn't appear to be any indication on either the front or back cover to this title that a DTS track is included. I usually hate concert titles, but a DTS track on this might be enough to get me to buy it.

One of the online e-tailers also listed the inclusion of the musicvideo for "I Want Love" from Elton's new album Songs From The West Coast, the one with Robert Downey Jr. Is that actually on the disc too or is this just the live show?

6. Alan Kurland

1.DTS track is included. Its not to my liking. The DD sounds better, with a better integration of all the speakers. Some may like the DTS. Its not a "problem, its just more discrete , which doesn't appeal to me for music.

2.The music video is included as a bonus.

3.Actually its great in anamorphic compared to most music videos. I was bummed about U2 not being 16x9. The reason it appears "soft" is because I'm biased having watched the beauty of high def transfer of Bruce. Also, my screen is 92 inch 16x9, so if a smaller screen is used, it probably will look nice. (sorry, should have made that clear)