Enigma - R1 aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John J Nelson, Aug 1, 2002.

1. John J Nelson

John J Nelson Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I've just watched the UK R2 rental version of Enigma. It's framed at 16:9 rather than the correct 2.35:1.

I was hoping that it was shot in Super 35 with the mattes opened up, but the fact that the framing looked tight all the way through, and the end credits were framed at 2.35:1, makes me suspect that the film was shot anamorphically and cropped at the sides.

The bad news is that the retail version due out this month also appears to be 16:9.

Does anyone have any info on the AR of the upcoming R1 version? If it's in the OAR, this will be the one I go for.

Thanks,

-- J.

2. Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh Second Unit

We discussed this here a few weeks ago
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=82998
    Unfortunately Columbia don't give OAR in their press release but would expect the correct one. I am sure it was 2.35 when I saw it in the cinema.
    BTW the first US release will be plain like the R2 the SE was pulled as part of Columbia's psuedo rental window. Expect the SE with all the extras listed sometime next year.

3. John J Nelson

I saw that thread, but it didn't mention about how the R2 aspect ratio had got screwed around with, so I thought I'd mention it separately.

Given that a Buena Vista handled the R2 release and Columbia are doing the R1, I suppose there's a good chance that the US will get a 2.35:1 transfer.

-- J.

4. John J Nelson

Some bad news on this - the R2 and R4 versions are cropped down at the sides from the original 2.35:1 frame. It's looking like this has come down as an order from the director or some other party involved with the film...

Anyway, if anyone has any news on whether the upcoming R1 is cropped 1.78:1 or OAR, post it here...

-- J.

5. Mikko Rasinkangas

Mikko Rasinkangas Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to say that this cropping to 1.85:1 happend with "Dracula 2000" in Finland. Is the aspect ratio correct elswhere? Hopefully this practice isn't going to continue.