Enigma - Great movie! Poor transfer!?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jan H, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

This is easily one of the best films from last year, but is the new DVD ever disappointing. It has more grain than Nebraska! Thoughts?

2. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Considering as it doesn't officially street until next Tuesday, you may not get much response for a few days! [​IMG]
    My copy shipped today from DVD Empire. I'll comment when I get it, although I seem to remember the picture being a little grainy when I saw it theatrically a few months ago.
    I'm still pissed that the planned SE was turned into a bare bones release, however. [​IMG]

3. John J Nelson

John J Nelson Stunt Coordinator

One question - what ratio is it in? 1.78:1 or 2.35:1?

-- J.

4. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

There's a mom and pop shop near me who puts out new releases the Thursday before, so I'm able to check out the new releases a few days in advance of their release. It's 2:35 to 1, but it looks terrible!

5. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Well this is hardly unsurprising. They can't have a good transfer on a bare-bones title because otherwise, people wouldn't buy into "Superbit" releases.
    I can't wait for the reviews of the SE next year to say "the picture quality is a marked improvement on the old release, so feel free to repurchase".
    [​IMG] Columbia [​IMG]

6. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

Let's just hope they don't reuse this transfer for that special edition (which is coming, by the way).

7. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

this is the WORST looking DVD I have seen!

worse than VCD.

the opening of MURDER BY NUMBERS ain't too crash hot either.

8. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

I mean, the non 16x9 MONSOON WEDDING looks better by miles!

did they forget to post-process this or what?

looks washed out, artifacts everywhere, worse than non 16x9.

unbelievable, from Columbia.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I rented Enigma from Hollywood video and the picture quality is totally unacceptable.

This is not film grain--I've seen the Godfather films--That's film grain.

Until running across this thread I thought my local Hollwood Video had somehow been shipped a batch of pirated copies shot with low quality vhs camcorders in a bad movie theater.

This looks worse than a Tivo recording on the worst quality setting from an overcompressed satellite channel.

It was a very good film, but frankly I think it would look better on vhs than on this dvd.

I'm sure Columbia didn't put this out intentionally, just can't help wondering how they let this slip out.

10. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I agree with many here,and yes it's very badly authored.There is shimmering all over the place,and many shots looks out of focus.
    This is the worst transfer I've seen since the original release of[and now infamous] Highlander! CTS Home video[​IMG]

11. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    To make matters worse the Enigma DVD has a problem with a lot of players. The DVD just fails to load. For this kind of thing to be happening in today's time is absolutely shamefull.

12. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

Okay, now I'm REALLY MAD [​IMG]
    This DVD looks deliberately distorted. My VCR output looks better than this DVD. Have we no recourse with obvious rip-offs like this?

13. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

I watched this Disc last week. It is horrible! The EE is worse that TPM! But at least it was OAR. It was hacked to 1.78:1 in almost all the foreign releases.

When is this SE supposed to be out?

14. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

I rented it. Couldn't watch it. Turned it off. Interestingly, the XXX trailer is 16x9 and looks excellent on disc!
    Can someone find out what happened?
    [​IMG] D

15. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

Yes, please find out WTF happened with this. I'm $30 poorer, and this should be a consumer affairs issues IMO. [​IMG]

16. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

This release has now found its way to Canadian shelves and the quality is, indeed, horrible. I stuck it out, because the film itself is quite compelling. But after it was over, I quickly had to tune in some high def, just to make sure my tv hadn't gone wonky. What the heck happened here?

17. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I rented this recently. The artifacting -- and much of it is in the transfer, not the authoring -- and the generally poor image quality are typical of Columbia TriStar's recent foreign and arthouse releases. Other titles that have exhibited similar flaws include Crush and The Princess and the Warrior.

It seems clear that CTS has adopted a two-tier approach. Major titles get decent transfers and authoring; smaller titles get punted. I'm very, very cautious about what I buy from CTS these days.

M.

18. Mark Fontana

Mark Fontana Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    The MPEG encoding is awful. Looks like the studio farmed out this title to someone working with a Dazzle product in their garage. I'm stunned that nobody involved in mastering this title noticed how bad it looks.
    On a more positive note, here's an
    interesting link for an English translation of the instruction manual for the Enigma machine.