Enhance Picture Quality of TV

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by randeniya, Jul 14, 2003.

1. randeniya

randeniya Auditioning

Dear frainds ,
    I am using cable TV system to wacth the TV. My problem is some channels are not clear. I know that connecting a Booster to TV antenna can increas the Picture quality of local chanals.
    1. Is that possible for cable TV ?
    2. If not, is there any other way to enhance Picture
    Quality of cable TV?

Please help me....

2. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

Amplifiers work on the "Garbage In, Garbage Out" principle. Amplifiers should go in the line where the signal is good, to maintain integrity over a long distance. If you amplify a poor signal, you'll be amplifying the noise as much as the picture.

If you have your own house...
    You probably have some sort of distribution point in your house, where the main cable comes in from outside and it is split to your different rooms. Hook up a TV to the incoming cable and check the quality there. If the picture is bad, especially as the channel numbers go higher, call your cable company and complain - they need to install an amplifier outside at the distribution point for your street.

If the picture is good there, but bad in the rest of the house, check that all connectors are firmly seated on the cables and that there is no braided shield visible inside the f-connector when viewing it, unconnected, from the end. If your cabling looks good, and the picture is good at your distribution point but not at your viewing locations, then buying the proper kind of amplifier and installing it at the distribution point may help.

In all liklihood, you're getting a bad signal from the cable company, and they generally aren't concerned enough about these problems. Another alternative over a cable company with bad picture and poor service is to go with satellite.

-Scott

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

To support what Scott said, during the rather tough winter here, the telephone pole on our property came down. Phone, cable, and power were all on there. Since they obviously couldn't put it back up on the pole, Time Warner sent some people over (about six months late... try having your cable wire lying in your front lawn for that long[​IMG]) and had the cable buried. Before, the reception was always poor, getting grainer and grainer as you went up above 50 and the locals had serious disruption. Now, everything's clear as a bell. Getting your cable source checked can be key.

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

I'll "third" the call the cable company route.

I did and they came out and said "your within decent singal strength"

To which I responded "can you please make it better?"

The did something but now my signal strenght and signal to noise ratio is great. Cable sometimes approaches DVD like quality.

5. randeniya

randeniya Auditioning

Scott Kimball, Adam Lenhardt, John Royster

Thank you very much ...[​IMG]

6. PhilMays

PhilMays Stunt Coordinator

Dito on all that!!! Sometimes you really have to push the cable company.

Ohhh they have the power....they have the power[​IMG]

7. mick w

mick w Auditioning

For what it's worth, I installed a cable signal booster ($99.00 at Circuit City) about a year ago and the results were dramatic. I have the main cable line running into the booster and the booster-out is feeding 4 tv's and a cable internet router. I can safely say that the picture on all 4 tv's was improved by 50%, some channels even more. The local education channel was practically unviewable before the booster, now it is near-perfect. The best 99 bucks I ever spent.