ENGLISH PATIENT Special Edition any time soon?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Kenneth English, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Wasn't Miramax supposedly working on a Special Edition of THE ENGLISH PATIENT for release this year? I vaguely recall reading about this somewhere a while ago but can't find anything. Anybody know? [​IMG]

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

This was announced, what, three years ago? Haven't heard anything lately.

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

What a coincidence! The Digital Bits rumor mill has the following bit today:

4. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

Hi Rich,

Someone called my attention to this thread and it reminded me to make another call to Miramax. Just FYI, you can count on anamoprhic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, director's commentary (Mingella's time pending - he's working on Cold Mountain right now), the deleted scenes that were on the Criterion LD and more. I'm told they plan to make it as jam packed as they can. I suggested that they should try to get the rights to include the Bravo: Page to Screen episode on the film as well, which was wonderful. This is one of my favorite films of recent years, so I'm as excited as you guys are. ;-)

Best!

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Very exciting news... thanks, Bill! [​IMG]

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Excellent news!! I love this film - it easily makes my Top Ten for the Nineties, and (contrary to popular opinion around here) I think it fully deserved its Best Picture win. Miramax has shown in the last year they can put together a killer SE with the best of 'em (Three Colors, the Tarantino releases), so I expect no less than a 2-disc spectacular for this!

7. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Should be sweet. You guys that haven't seen the extras on the Criterion CAV LD ( one of the most cherished LDs in my collection ) have some nice features to look forward to.

There are some great shots that Minghella eventually had to cut from the film that are truly beautiful. Also, Hanna's wistful expression while riding in the truck makes much more sense when one views the deleted scenes. I do have to wonder if the original Criterion commentary ( Minghella, Zaentz, & Ondaatje ) will be part of the new DVD release?

If you are interested in the contents of the Criterion CAV LD, which may potentially make it to the DVD release, DVD Laser has a nice review here ( It does list the deleted scenes in a way which one might construe as spoilers, only in that it may possibly diminish one's sense of discovery when viewing the eventual DVD release. )

Always nice to see a few fans of the film ( which is horribly under-appreciated around these parts ) show up in this thread.

- Walter

8. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    I watched this film before becoming the big Juliette Binoche fan that I am today. Greatly looking forward to this.

9. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

Well I'll be damned...

Fantastic news, to be sure. This is the movie that cemented my intensely creepy and (I'm sure) unhealthy obsession with Juliette Binoche. [​IMG] I just love petite French chicks. [​IMG]

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I fell for her in "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"!

11. Gabe Oppenheim

Gabe Oppenheim Stunt Coordinator