Energy's new Connoisseur line at The Good Guys

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny Tse, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I went into my local Good Guys yesterday to check out the Klipsch SB2, as I am pondering on getting a pair of Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 monoblocks (8 watts/channel). The Klipsch SB2 are rated at 93db so I should be OK. Upon entering Good Guys' demo room, I noticed Energy's new Connoisseur line. Those who have been into audio/home theater probably have good memories of Energy's previous Connoisseur line. Anyway, I checked out the smallest bookshelf, the C1, and was quite impressed at their sound quality. The C1 retails at US$299.95/pair. Based on a 10 minute comparsion, the C1 compared quite well to the larger Klipsch SB2. Will have to do more A/B-ing between the two. Here's the link to Energy's new Connoisseur line. By the way, according to the Energy forum, a new line called XL, with three new models, will be introduced in 05/02 - 06/02 to take the discontinued e:xl line.

2. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Man, these are nice to look at. Good to see Energy has got their web site updated. Any other retail prices you know of, say for the C-5's, C-3's, C-C1 center?? Haven't seen these yet here in Canada but they must be around. A&B Sound carries the Energy line in Calgary, hopefully they'll stock these. Should be some stiff competition for PSB's Image series.
    Cheers,
    Steve

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I remember the C3 being US$499.95/pair and that none of the center channel speakers were on display. I believe this line was just getting into the store, so not everything's there yet. I will check on them again later in the week.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, thanks for the info. I bought the e:XL 25s for my second stereo system last October, but I would like to hear the new Connoisseur series. My local Energy dealer probably still has the e:XL 25s on display to facilitate an easy face-off, so I may have to head over there.

Based on the prices of the new Connoisseur speakers, it will be interesting to see what Energy will do with the XL series. The Connoisseur speakers are priced like the e:XL series.

5. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

Steve,

I was at A&B yesterday asking about the Connoisseurs. The salesman told me they are basically the poor man's Veritas speakers. They both use the same tweeter. He said they sound really nice and they should have them in about a week. This was at the A&B on 8th Ave. in case you're wondering. I also got the prices for most of the line:

C-1 - $400

C-3 - $650

C-5 - $1000

C-7 - $1300

C-9 - $1600

C-C1 - $450

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Paul, I assume the prices are in Canadian $$, right?

I went to another Good Guys(San Mateo) tonight to check out the new Energy's, but their demo system was down. Again, no center-channel or surround-channel speakers from the Connoisseur series was displayed. However, I did see the C1 in "Canadian Maple", and man oh man, it's quite a looker. Still waiting for a serious demo though. Most likely the speakers have not even been broken-in yet.

By the way, the e:XL series is still available at the two Good Guys stores I visited. However, the prices are different....for example, the e:XL16 are $199.95/pair at the first Good Guys I visited(Dublin) and $249.95/pair at San Mateo. I am sure Good Guys will match their own prices, but if you are interested in the e:XL series, beware. Their original price was $299.95/pair.

According to the Energy forum, the front of the new XL models will be completely covered by a cloth grill. Unlike the e:XL series. IMHO, Energy has the best industrial design of the big Canadian brands.

7. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Danny & Paul. Those prices aren't too steep. Going to have to talk with my regular sales guy from A&B and see what king of packages/discounts can be had. :p)
    Steve

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Not a problem, Steve!

I would imagine Energy have to come up with a series of speakers to cover the markets used to be targeted for e:XL15 and 16 bookshelfs. Maybe that's what the upcoming XL series will be about.

Good time to pick up the e:XL series as well.

9. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Just an update. I was all ready to get the Energy Connoisseur C-1 tonight at my local Good Guys, and then just to make sure I was doing the right thing, I A/B-ed the C-1 against Energy's now discontinued e:XL16 (which is still available). I was shocked to enjoy the e:XL16 a lot more while playing Van Halen's Greatest Hits Volume 1 at their soundroom. Could be the e:XL16's biggest woofer (6 1/2" vs. the C-1's 5 1/4") and its more forward sound. Great!! Now I have reconsider my choices again!!

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, what about moving up the Connoisseur line? Is there a larger bookshelf speaker in the line? I still need to get over to my local Energy dealer to hear the e:XL 25 vs. the comparably priced Connoisseur floorstander.

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,

The next Connoisseur bookshelf is the C-3 and they retail at $500.00/pair, which is way out of my budget. I am going to audition the C-1 and the e:XL16 again to see which I will go with. Try the floorstanding models, Keith. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either line.

12. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

I heard the connoisseurs in an A/B comparison with the e:XL line up to the C-5. I like the e:XL26 better than the C-5, as everyone else did in the store. However, there seems to be a BIG step-up from the C-5 to the C-7, according to those who heard them. Send me an email if you want me to update you on the situation as we receive the C-7s.

And what about those magnetic grilles? Man that is a good idea!

13. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I heard the C1 and did not really like the sound of them. But they look nice! And the magnet clips for the grill is nice, although the grill REALLY muffles the sound.

Give the speaker a good rap with the knuckles they feel/sound REALLY solid.

14. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Oh yes, those magnetic grill clips and the binding posts are to die for. Great looking speakers, but the sound? Still haven't decided yet.

Anyone have problems with the exposed tweeter on the e:XL line? Like dust??

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny,

Thanks for the info. For the $500 I paid, the e:XL 25 are good speakers. As for the tweeters, I have no problems with dust on the e:XL 16s or e:XL-C2 in my home-theater set-up or the e:XL 25s in my second stereo system. I'm sure they get a bit dusty, but I have had no problem with the sound.

Sebastien,

What do the Connoisseur C-7s sell for? Please specify whether you are quoting in Canadian or US dollars. I appreciate your comments on the e:XL 26s vs. the C-5s. Back in October of last year, I bought a pair of e:XL 25s for my second stereo system and compared them to the e:XL 26s in two stores. In one store, I much preferred the e:XL 25s. In the other store, I thought the e:XL 26s were slightly better. Nothing I heard from the e:XL 26s could justify my spending more money on them, so I went with the e:XL 25s. However, I am intrigued by the Connoisseur series.

16. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Thanks for your advice, Keith!

I went to the Dublin Good Guys to audition the C-1 and the e:XL16, and again, the e:XL16 surprised me with its performance. The salesman was telling me that the C-1 (and the rest of the Connoisseur line at the store) hasn't been broken in yet as they are so new. OK, that may be the case. Still, the e:XL16 is shockly good. But the C-1 looks so cool (to me anyway). Still undecided!! Damn!! This is so hard!!

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, looks do you know good if the sound isn't there. Don't get the C-1s if the e:XL 16s are better! I only bought the e:XL 25s for my second stereo last October and happy with them, so the C-5s or C-7s would really have to show me something in the sound department to get me even thinking about an upgrade.

18. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,

You are right about sound before looks on speakers. Tonight, I went back to the Dublin Good Guys to have another listen to the e:XL16s and the C-1s. For unknown reasons, the e:XL16s always sounded louder to me than the C-1s given the same volume setting, even though the C-1s have a slightly higher sensitivity rating (92db vs. 93db). To my ears, the e:XL16s sounded more "hollow" and more forward in the midrange, whereas the the C-1 is more laidback. The e:XL16s do go lower (and very good at it too) but the low end in my system will be augmented with a powerd sub in the future, so that isn't as important to me as to others. I am leaning towards the C-1s, but the e:XL16s are just as good in my opinion. Just when I was ready to hand over the credit card for the C-1s, the salesman told me they were sold out. Just great!

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Danny, based on your experience, it seems like you have very good speaker already in the e:XL 16. It comes down whether you prefer the laid back or forward sound. As for the e:XL 16s sounding louder than the C-1s, I had a similar experience when I helped my brother shop for speakers last year. We started off listening to Vienna Acoustic Haydns, Sonus Faber Concertinos, and comparably priced Boston Acoustic speakers (all bookshelf speakers). No matter what amp set-up we tried in the stores, the Haydns just couldn't pump out volume, and they have a slightly higher sensitivity than the Concertinos. The Haydns were also too laid back to my ears, and my brother agreed. We simply didn't like the Haydns. I don't think anything was wrong with the demo pair. They just didn't put out enough sound.

20. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Keith,

You're right again. I think both the e:XL16s and the C-1s have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. For $300.00 or less a pair, these speakers are steals. Yes, it comes down to what types of sound one likes: more forward or more laidback. For me, it's a tough decision. If you get a chance to compare the e:XL series to the Connoisseur series, let us know what you think.