Energy's C-3, do a set them to large or small on receiver?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by VicQ, Apr 23, 2003.

1. VicQ

VicQ Stunt Coordinator

I've had these for about four months and was always using them on "small" setting on my receiver. But I was wondering if it's better to run them in "large" or leave as small. Can they handle the bass? My receiver's cutoff frequency at "small" is 90Hz.

-Vic

2. Adam.Gonsman

Adam.Gonsman Stunt Coordinator

A huge debate always ensues any time someone tries to generalize over large and small reccomendations and there's always a whole slew of postings about special exceptions and testimony to support both sides. So here's to opening a can of worms [​IMG]

My own feeling after looking at the specs of the C-3 is to leave them on small. The 40hz area is is usually adequate for most music, but for theater where liberal use of much lower frequncies occurs, 40hz isn't very low. I'm sure you're losing a little potential of the speakers this way as they do get good response below 90hz, but you'll almost certainly be losing sound in home theater use. So in a compromise, I would set them to small so the sub gets the signal the C-3's can't play even though it means the sub is also getting some that they could.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I had these in my system for a while. Great speakers. I would also say small. The -3 dB point is about 50 Hz, that's a little high to consider them full range. But, you might also try it both ways and see what sounds the best to you.

Here's a good review if you haven't already seen it:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c3.htm

4. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I have the C5s and set them small, so you may be able to figure out what I would do with the 3s.