What's new

Energy vs Pagadigm vs Mirage? Who Wins (1 Viewer)

Bill Lide

Grip
Please help I can't decide which brand to go with. Anyone had good or bad expierences with any of these brands?

Nick V

Second Unit
I for one have had good experiences with all of the above brands. For the time being, I absolutely love my Paradigm Monitor series setup, I love my Mirage BPS-400 sub, and I was satisfied with my previous sub, an Energy S10.2(until I was bit by the upgrade bug).

It really all depends on what you think of the speakers, and how you think they sound relative to one another. I for one can't tell you which one is better, but I can tell you that their sounds are different. Especially Mirage vs. Paradigm/Energy.

Also, some specifics wouldn't hurt. What are you looking for?? Sub, bookshelves, floorstanders, entire system?? Model #'s that you had in mind??

Bill Lide

Grip
Floorstanding - medium to large (size)
Center
Sub
Rear
I was trying to stay with one brand and not mix and match. I just want to get a nice setup for movies not music. My HT room will be ready in about 1.5 weeks and I'm starting to get excited. My room is about 12L X 14.5W so I'm not sure how large the speakers need to be. Thats why I need input from you guys. (THE Pros) :)

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
I can say that I have had nothing but the best experience with Mirage speakers. I have had models ranging from the frx-5 all the way to the M7si and M5si. I have also been impressed with the OM series but never actually owned them.

All of the speakers that you mentioned are very capable and competative. The only way you will be able to decided is to listen for yourself, and decide which suites your specific preference.

You can't really go wrong imo.

good luck

-rob

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Bill, I have the FRx-7 series with a SVS25-31PCi. I am very happy with them. When I bought my SVS, I momentarily thought that I should have bought the bookshelves instead. Now that I have my sacd player, I am happy to have towers that extend to low freq. Mirage and Energy are made by the same company so similar products. Paradigm is an excellent company as well. I don't think you will go wrong with any of the three.

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
Nick V:

I am about to acquire the Energy Take 5.2, and for the sub, I plan to use the bigger S10.2 instead of the recommended S8.2. I've read that you were using this sub before. Did you ever know how deep it goes in actual? 30s? 20S?

Thanks.

Cire

Bill Lide

Grip
Here is what I planned on purchasing:
Energy Connoisseur:
C-7 Floorstanding - $999 pair
C-C1 Center Channel - $350
C-R1 Rear - $299 pair
S-10 Subwoofer - $499
Thats around $2150 - which to me is alot for the speakers, so I'm trying to get "The most Bang for the Buck". I know to some of the guys thats a low cost investment but I'm trying to have a nice system and still be able to eat out for lunch everyday. :) I appreciate any advice you guys have and any other recommendations on other brands?

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
Hope this helps in your decision. As far as the main subject of the thread goes... I have the Take 5.2 system and have been very happy with it and would highly recommend it. I have not heard the Mirage or Paradigm systems, so I cannot compare, but they also come highly recommended.
The only downside I have noticed with the Energy setup I have currently is, and I *pretty sure* it has to do with the sub (S10.2), a noticeable hole of about -7db when doing a bass sweep in the S&V DVD followed by a huge peak (+4 db) right before the bass trails off completely. It is too much for my tastes as after a weak mid section it makes the sound seem unbalanced IMHO. The tech data on it (graphs of hz vs db) seems to support this. They show a huge hump right before the dbs drop completely off... (nice thing SVS is pretty linear the whole way! ;) )
Any questions I would be glad to answer in whatever capacity I can... I am relatively new to this all.
Matthew
Sony DA4ES
Energy Take 5.2
Energy S10.2 [Soon to be SVS! :)]

MatthewK

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, I have the Energy Take 5.2 and the S10.2 seems a little weak for it (see above post). Since you say you are looking for the best bang for the buck you may want to look at getting the Hsu VTF-2 (~$469) or the SVS 25-31PCi (~$499)... or if you really want a great system consider moving to the Hsu VTF-3(~$849) or SVS 20-39PC+ (~$749). Just my 2 cents as I currently have the S10.2 and will be moving onward very shortly....
"Why not do it 'right' the first time?"
Matthew Knapp
Sony DA4ES
Energy Take 5.2
Energy S10.2 [Soon to be SVS! :)]

Bill Lide

Grip
I checked the SVS website and the 20-39Pci is on sale for $549. I'm definetly a bass head so the SVS might be a better road to take.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
Bill,

Since you are planning on getting a sub (I would go for a SVS) I would look at different speakers. The Energy Connoisseur speakers are VERY good, but if you are going to spend $1000 on your main speakers look at the Veritas 2.1's or 2.2's. They are a BIG upgrade to the Connoisseur's!!! Give them a listen. I had C-2's and moved up to the Veritas and what a difference it made in clarity! Currently I am using the Take 2's for rears. Someday I will move up to the Veritas there too.

Jeff Aguilar

Christopher E

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what I planned on purchasing:

Energy Connoisseur:

C-7 Floorstanding - $999 pair
C-C1 Center Channel - $350
C-R1 Rear - $299 pair
S-10 Subwoofer - $499
Bill I've got a energy setup consisting of the xl:25's as mains, 16's as rears, xl:c, and S-8.2. I think the energy's are an excellent value (I live in Canada so they are cheaper here)and sound great but the S-8.2 isn't very impressive during movies. I don't own an S-10 but I just thought I would relay my experience with the s8.2.

Hope that helps some.

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
I have the c-5's cc1 c3's and ive found in my environment 2 s8.2's sounded better than one s10.2.

I work for the goodguys and I would definately say bang for buck the c-series is awesome.

demo demo demo as much as you can ..... given my environment and listening habits the fit just right.

budget minded man's veritas

just a quick two bits, i have a full energy set up and i am extremely happy. As for the sub, if u were thinking of going with the svs but the cost is too much, consider the energy 12". I have the 12" and believe me its incredible. During U571 and Blade II i had to turn it way down, it rattled my entire house and could be heard at the end of my cultesac, without distortion or bottoming out. Absolutely great for the price. the sub comes in a beautiful black piano finish.

xl26 floorstanding
ac300 center rear
take 5.2 rears
xlc center
xls12.2 sub

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
PSB Image series
6T floor standing front towers
9C center
2B surrounds
Mirage BPS-400 subwoofer :)

SteveDev

Agent
I've got the following:

FRX7s
FRX Rears
OMC3 Center
And just recently the brand spanking new Sub OM-200 (which I've got on loan from a local hifi dealer, litterally came out last week)
Denon 2802

So far I love the speakers. I went with the OMC3 center over the FRx Center and it sounds much, much better. The OMC2 sounds even better than the OMC3 but cost twice as much.

The sub (200 watt continuous, dual 8") I definately like and am working on different areas of the room and positions since I don't have much space and it can be boomy if I put it right up against the wall. I wasn't impressed with their less expensive Mirage LF-150. Mind you, I haven't had anything to compare it against (other than in store comparisons). But I'm 80% sure I'll buy it.

The OM-Rears are also great sounding (my brother owns these and is considering getting a pair of OM-7 fronts).

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above. I've heard the Energy XL and C series at a local store and thought they performed well, and the Paradigm speakers, at least the reference series, are excellent as well. But then, in all honesty, you'd find just about any speakers in these price ranges or above to be exceptional.

Don't know what the cost is in Texas, but up here in Toronto you'll find the value for your money to be higher than excellent. Up here I would guess more people tend to stick to Cdn speakers since B&W, M&K, etc. are overpriced for comparable results.

Steve

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I've listened to a few of these speakers and this is what I've found. I find Energy C series very similar to Paradigm's monitor series. Paradigm does a little better job on the mids and lows and Energy I think does a better job on the highs. I'm talking about bookshelves here. I believe 3 of the best in this price range are PAradigm Studio20's all around, Totem Dreamcatcher system and the Axiom's M22, VP150, EP175, QS8's. I'm still deliberating about these 3. They all sound really nice!

Frank joe

Stunt Coordinator
christopher you can do better on the energys . and if you go with a floor standing go with the c-9 it blows away the c-7 i heard it in person. u can get the c-9 for 900 and and the center and rears for around 1,700 for all 5 speakers. i did some shopping and got great prices. enevn though my final purchase was the nht evoloutions. go to this site and call them about the energy's won't be dissapointed http://www.amsound.com/ good luck and let me know frank

Christopher E

Stunt Coordinator
christopher you can do better on the energys . and if you go with a floor standing go with the c-9 it blows away the c-7 i heard it in person. u can get the c-9 for 900 and and the center and rears for around 1,700 for all 5 speakers. i did some shopping and got great prices. enevn though my final purchase was the nht evoloutions. go to this site and call them about the energy's won't be dissapointed http://www.amsound.com/ good luck and let me know frank
Frank, I was quoting bill's previous message sorry for the confusion. I own:
XL:25 Mains
XL:C Center
XL:16 Rears
S8.2 Sub
If I had the money to spend I would gladly go with the Connoisseaur series. While my energys aren't as good as the Connoisseaur's I'm still quite happy with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks