Energy vs. KEF

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bri~A, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

Ok... so I am revamping my entire setup at the moment. Have a Denon 3803 for my reciever, and now I am moving on the the speakers for my system. I am looking to spend somewhere around $2500 total for 5 speakers and a sub. At the moment it appears I am mostly looking at the Energy Connoisseurs and the KEF Q series. For my fronts I am considering either the C-7s or C-9s, or the Q5 or Q7s. I am looking for some opinions on these two sets if anyone has experience with any of them.
    On a side note... in general is it better to stick to a sub that's manufactured by the same company that makes your speakers, or is it OK to mix and match makes between subs and speakers? Thanks for any help!

2. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I recently bought a Denon AVR2802 receiver and the new KEF Q-Series...Q7 mains, Q9 center, Q1 surrounds and a thumpin' SVS 25-31PCi subwoofer. Figure around $895 for the Q7s, $285 for the Q9c, and $345 for the Q1s plus shipping. You actually have several options for surrounds, bookshelf Q1s or the floorstanding Q3/Q5s, or the new Q2ds dipoles. FWIW, the SVS 25-31PCi sub was $590 delivered.
    I have several pics at: http://web.tampabay.rr.com/slewis/ht/ if the pics don't load try clicking on refresh
    I bought everything online and spent $3,011 total including $330 for the interconnects, cables, banana connectors, and 36" tall stands for the Q1s.
    I have had the system up and running for 3 weeks now, and I couldn't be happier!
    Good Luck!
    Sean in Nor Cal

3. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

Thanks for the reply Sean... a few quick questions if you don't mind. What other speakers did you consider/audition when you chose the Q-series? Are you using this setup predominantly for home theater? music? both? I am looking for something that is versitile in its abilities. How is the build quality on the Qs? I know that the cabinet quality on KEF's reference series speakers is very good from experience (have a set in another location). I know not to expect the same level of build, but am I going to be dissapointed in the material/laminate quality on these? Thanks for any help you can provide for me.

Any one else out there reading this have any direct experience with KEF/Energy? Let me know. Thanks!

Bri

4. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I have the Q series in my second theater BUT mine don't look like Sean's! I have the original Q series (see sig). I like them- they don't compare to my Sonus Fabers but are definitely good bang for the buck. DON'T GET A KEF SUB whatever you do. Check out Velodyne, M&K, Paradigm, SVS, and HSU. If you listen to a lot of music look at Rel subs too.
    In addition to the energy and kef...take a look at B&W and PSB. They both have comaprably priced models that sound very good. Looks like you are on the right track so far...let us know how it turns out.

5. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

6. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

Ok... so I went auditioning a bit today and what can I say... Sean, you seem to have excelent taste, LOL. In fact, with the exception of the sub I got the same rig over here now (though I have to say it was what I had in mind for a KEF setup if I went their way instead of Energy's). Q7s, Q9c, and a pair of Q1s for my surrounds (I hate dipoles). Now I have to opportunity to find myself a good sub for this system. I know you went SVS, but i am thinking that it may be just a bit too tall for my application. I prefer the look of a box sub. Why is everyone in this forum so obsessed with SVS? Is it just because they are a sponsor and everyone wants the chance to beta-test? [​IMG] j/k What kind of sugestions would everyone go with for a sub w/this system? Thanks

7. DavidGT

DavidGT Stunt Coordinator

Glad to see like we're all on the Denon/Kef combo. They're a great marriage. Kef KHT2002(eggs) are excellent also. And I agree about Kef subs. I wonder has anyone lucky soul had a chance to listen to the XQ series speakers. Let us know how those sounds.
    As for the subs, I've read some really high reviews for the Pinnacle baby boomer on HT mag..they're only like $500 I think online.
    I like small cubes myself like Velo spl's or even that new HSU VTF-3 got all perfect 5 stars from audioreview.com.
    Hate big subs...no reason to be that big, even in a big room.

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Sean

Which model or models of EVO's did you listen to, and what was "driving" them?

I tend favor a more laid back speaker.
    What was you take on their sound?

Might there be something possibly you could compare their sound too?

"Same questions" on the Silver~Monitor Audio?

I have not listened to either of these lines and what little I've read has them both going in oppisite directions. The Wharfs too laid back, and the Silver to forward, almost in your face forward.

Really would appreciate your take on these....

Geoff

9. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

10. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Thanks Sean for your take on the 2 lines as best as you can remember.
    Yes, all that demoing and you can soon become speaker drunk, sometimes find yourself more confused than before you started especialy if moving from shop to shop... [​IMG]
    The prices usually stay pretty clear though...! [​IMG]
    The Q's are lookers for sure, and certainly appear to please you "obviously".! The Apple finish is extremly sharp in your room, excuse me I'm drooling on my keyboard...
    Enjoy your new toys!
    Geoff