Energy Veritas

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul Chalk, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

The other day, I listened to the V2.1's and the V2.3's. They were being powered by a Yamaha RX-V1. IMO, an okay amp but not enough power to push these speakers to the limits, especially the V2.3 (explained below).
    I tested these speakers using four CD's. AC/DC "Back in Black," Metallica "The Black Album," Metallica "Garage Inc. CD 1," and Iced Earth "Horror Show." As you can see mainly heavy metal and hard rock albums. I like these albums for their very dynamic sound. They have lots of bass, mid range and treble plus the sound is very clean, unlike a lot of metal album these days. IMO, great albums for testing speakers.
    The first thing I noticed about these speakers were the tweeters. I absolutely love them. There's something about their sound that's very unique from any other tweeter I've heard. I don't know what it is, but they are very loud and detailed, almost bright but not quite, and yet they aren't overwhelming. The tweeters added a whole new dimension to my music. I'm suddenly hearing effects and cymbal crashes I never heard before. Very nice. [​IMG]
    A couple weeks ago I listened to most of the Dynaudio Audience line and those speakers, by far, had the best imaging I ever heard. The imaging with the Veritas is almost as good, if not just as good. When I closed my eyes, I could visualize the locations of the musicians in front of me. Very cool. [​IMG]
    These speakers also have excellent bass. The V2.1's are small booshelves and I was surprised with the amount of punch they had. I was little disappointed with the V2.3's bass. They had lots of punchy bass, but I was expecting more because of it's size. But I guess this is because it was being underpowered. It might be a totally different story if a real amp was hooked up. [​IMG]
    All in all, these are great speakers. I thinking about getting the V2.2's now. Even though I haven't heard them before, they fit right in between the V2.1's and V2.3's and they should sound just as incredible.
    I still need to listen to the Paradigm Studio 40's and the Klipsch RB-5's before I decide which ones to get. But right now the Veritas V2.2 are my favorites with the Dynaudio 52's trailing behind a little bit.
    If you're looking for some nice speakers for both music and movies, I strongly recommend you check the Energy Veritas out. [​IMG]

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, my brother purchased the Energy Veritas V2.2s about six weeks ago. They are good speakers, though he is using a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver, which certainly does not utilize the speakers to the fullest for music. He chose the V2.2s over the V2.1s. The V2.1s are nice, but the V2.2s give a fuller, more involving sound.

When I was shopping for speakers for my main stereo system in August, I listened to the V2.1s and wasn't impressed with them. They were connected to a Classe integrated amp and Classe CD player at the store, and I don't feel the V2.1s were in any way good enough to show what the Classe gear could do. In the end, I went with Totem Arro floorstanders for about the same price. Talk about imaging, soundstage, etc. The Arros are phenomenal! They so thoroughly beat the V2.1s, it wasn't even funny. So, it's just my opinion, but I am not sold on the Veritas speakers for music. Maybe I just haven't heard the right Veritas speakers in the right system yet.

I went with my brother when he auditioned the Veritas speakers. We heard them with both Adcom and Marantz stereo systems. While I felt the Veritas speakers beat comparably priced offerings from Sonus Faber, Boston Acoustics, and Vienna Acoustics, I did not come away feeling the Veritas V2.1s or V2.2s were the equal of the Totem Arros. My brother was looking for a bookshelf speaker, so the V2.2s worked for him. Obviously, everyone's taste in speakers is different. However, if you can audition the Totem Arros (Totem Acoustics is a Canadian company, so you should be able to find them), do so.

3. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Paul, I assume this is at the downtown store? They never had the 52's when I was listening there, only the 42's. How did the two compare? I suppose it's a moot point now that I've got my 'dimes. I think you will really be impressed with the Paradigm 40's. They can most definitely rock, which it looks like me, you are into. Plus they have all the great characteristics of great speakers. I often found that most speakers the audiophiles were recommending were good for Jazz, Classical, Mellow rock, etc. while I am widening my listening tastes, I still want to have something that's going to pound out my Rock, Dance, Punk, and R&B like the best of them. Enjoy your search! I actually liked the Dynaudio's more (again, more of a laid back sound for Jazz, etc), and you're right they did image fantastically, however I felt in the end, my Onkyo 575X wouldn't power them sufficiently, and I want to be done with upgrading for a while (well, I still have to buy my rears, and SVS/PW2200.

4. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Paul C,

Try and audition the Totem Hawk too if you can.

5. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

Over Boxing Day, A&B Sound in Vancouver had a pair of Energy Veritas 1.8 for CDN$3000/pair on sale. Was licking my chops, too bad that I already have some pretty fine speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio/60). The 1.8 would be great for a 2 channel setup.

Dave

6. Paul Chalk

Paul Chalk Stunt Coordinator

Paul, I did hear the Dynaudio's at the downtown store. They are the only A&B Sound, other than the one in Downtown Vancouver, that carries Dynaudio. I heard the 42's, 62's and 72's, but not the 52's. If I choose to get Dyn's, I'll get the 52's. I'm guessing they will sound just like the 42's, but with more bass. The 62's are too muddy, and the 72's are too expensive for me, plus I don't really want towers.

7. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Paul, sounds great, I really like the Dynaudios. I heard the 42's. My receiver doesn't. They're 4 ohm speakers so watch out what you feed them. They didn't have the 52's in stock. I like the sound. Enjoy Paul!