1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Veritas vs. Polk LSi speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Faldo, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Rick Faldo

Rick Faldo Stunt Coordinator

Greetings and thanks for your help. I am new to this forum and can likely be classified as someone who knows just enough about audio/video to get himself into trouble. I am looking to upgrade my present HT system with a new center and two new surrounds. My dilemma is choosing between Polks and Energy. The Energy's are a bit more expensive, which poses the ever-present question of bang for buck. Does anyone have any experience with any of the following:

Energy- V.2bookshelf, V2.0-C center,
    V2.0-R surround

Polk
    LSi-9 bookshelf
    LSi-C center
    LSi-FX surround

I have read posts applauding the LSi9's but nothing on others in the series. Another concern I have is having enough power to drive the speakers. I am using an Integra 7.1 which advertises 100w per channel. My front speakers are older Polk 8T's, which I would consider changing for the bookshelves if necessary. This system has a PB10 JBL sub. Are there any "timber matching problems to worry about.
    Thanks again and I look forward to any help any you can provide.
    Rick

2. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Hi, Rick,

and welcome to the Forum. Until recently, I owned the Energy Veritas 2.0R rears and loved them for their versatility and crisp sound quality. I used them with the PSB Stratus Gold i and the C6i up front, and they blended well with them. Then, the buzz on the Polk LSi system got the better of me, and I replaced my old set-up with LSi25's, LSiC, and the LSiFX surrounds. In terms of a direct comparison between the LSiFx and the Veritas 2.0R, I would give the very slight edge to the Polks in detail and transparency, and a slight edge to the Veritas in bass extension. However, both speakers are excellent, and, either way, you'd make a great choice. Jan.

3. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I haven't listened to the new Polk's yet, but I really want to. I have listened to the Energy's and I really didn't care for them all that much, maybe I was swayed by their butt ugly looks. [​IMG] The thing that would concern me about the Polk's is their 4 ohm impedance. I don't know how far they dip from 4 ohms, but it could create a difficult load for a receiver.

4. Rick Faldo

Rick Faldo Stunt Coordinator

Jan & Mark: Thanks for your input, really appreciated. Not being too technical, I am some what concerned about the Polk 4 ohm thing. What effect would that have on overall performance and do 4 ohm and 8 ohm speakers "get along?"
    Thanks again.
    Rick