Energy Veritas 2.2 or B&W CM2 ? Any body has them?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Luis M, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

I am about to decide between these two set of speakers because of their small size and my limited space (my floor standing speakers must go) I have heard the B&W CM-2 and the Veritas 2.2 and I like them both but I see myself leaning a little bit more towards the "Energys" because of hometheater applications.

I am also going to buy the center speaker since 60% of their use will be devoted to Dolby Digital and DTS movies.

Which speaker set will make for a better hometheater? The veritas or the B&Ws? I currently have the Denon 3801 with the main L&R front channels powered by a 200 Watts per channel Adcom amp - the center and surrounds run with the Denon.

2. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

The Veritas are very good but are very revealing. You need good electronics for them. When I auditioned the 2.2's with my 3801 I found them to be very bright especially with home theater. I did not like the sound with the lower end Denon reciever. At my dealer, I heard them with Rotel gear...let me say that the improvement was very dranmatic. The Veritas , when matched with higher end electronics, are in a league of their own.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

My brother bought the Energy Veritas V2.2s a couple of months ago and is very happy with them. He is using them with a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver and a Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD/SACD player. He and I compared the V2.2s to comparably priced B&W, Paradigm, Boston Acoustics, Vienna Acoustics, and Sonus Faber speakers and liked the V2.2s best. They are nice in every respect. Most notably, I have found them to provide good punch while being smooth in the highs.

4. Luis M

Luis M Second Unit

David, I will be using a 200 watts stereo Adcom amplifier(555II) to power the main channels while leaving the center and surrounds for the Denon's amp and that should lessen the problem you mentioned of the veritas 2.2 sounding too bright with cheap electronics, the Denon preamp section sounds clean enough to make this combination work, Don't you think?

5. David Barteaux

David Barteaux Stunt Coordinator

Yes. A good amp is needed as the Denon 3801 amp's are a contributor to its brightness/edginess. When I upgraded to my 200w/ch Rotel amp it made a considerable difference. I still feel that the 3801 is an entry level reciever and should not be matched with more refined speakers that reveal alot of what is going on, especially in the pre/pro stage. I going to keep my Denon 3801 for now as it has alot of the latest features.

Good luck.