Energy Take 5 Speaker Stand Owners (or Perhaps All Speaker Stand Owners)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Black, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I have an Energy Take 5 speaker system and use Energy's speaker stands. However, on the top of each speaker stand (where each speaker sits) is pentagonal piece of plastic that has been glued to the stand. It sits in between the bottom of the speaker and the stand itself. The screws that bind the speaker to the speaker stand all fit fine.
    My question is, "What are these pieces of plastic?" What do they do? Are they suppose to be there? Thanks!

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Well, I don't have that system, but my guess would be some kind of acoustic damping so the speakers don't cause the stands to resonate. Kind of like when you build a soundproof "floating" room you use rubber isolators between the sheetrock and studs to keep frequencies from being transferred from one to the other.
    Of course I've always wondered that since the sheetrock is still nailed to the studs (and the speakers are screwed into the stands) sound is transferred. But maybe not at any noticeable rate.
    BTW, I'm also a drummer, so this is probably wildly wrong! (insert drummer joke here)
    ------------------

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Thanks! Anyone else have any other ideas?

4. Lanny M

Lanny M Agent

As I recall, my Take 5 stands had a set of 4 rubber pads to buffer the contact point between the speaker and the stand...I would leave them on.
    ------------------

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Thanks Lanny. That's exactly what I wanted to hear!