energy take 5.2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ian W, Oct 20, 2002.

1. Ian W

Ian W Auditioning

I purchased the take 5.2 speaker set a month ago. I noticed that the center channel clips really bad at a deep vocal or snare drum section with the amp only a quarter turned up (-40db). I think im going to return it. Now the sub is vibrating weird at quieter certain frequencies. I thought it was just vibrating a lamp or something and then I put my ear to the sub and it lightly distorts at even low volumes. My wife (who couldn't care less about this stuff)said something is definitely wrong with that. Did I just get a bad set or what? I dont want back to the store and have them say "that's the limitations of the speaker".

2. RussellC

RussellC Stunt Coordinator

I have a set of Energy Take 5.2 speakers with an SVS sub and I can listen at full reference levels with no problems of clipping or distortion. I think you got a bad set or something. What reciever are you using?

3. Ian W

Ian W Auditioning

I just purchased a Yamaha Rx-v 630 one month ago with the speakers. Now, get this, I think my sub (8.2)is toast now too. It distorts (kinda like something is loose inside)at certain frequencies. I turned it up (not full blast by any means) a couple of time to test them out. Is it that easy to toast speakers? One more thing, on my rear right channel, on T2 when they play "bad to the bone" and the drums kick in the speaker kinda sounds "staticy". Also a "windy" scene from Insomnia sound "staticy" too. I thought the speaker was toast so I switched them with another and it did the same. Is my amp not working right or are the speakers toast and how do I address this to the place I bought them? I never have luck with electronics. Thanks for responding.

p.s. all speaker setting are set to "small" and "sub"

4. Cire

Cire Stunt Coordinator

Ian, under normal conditions, your energys and 630 should work pretty well. Fact is, the energys are 'easy-to-drive' speakers. I've heard 'em driven by a Denon back in Manila to pretty loud levels (demo was Saving Private Ryan) and I thought they sounded just fine.

By probability, I would assume the trouble comes from your receiver, or even your source, or somewhere else but the speakers. By that I mean is it possible that you got in one package 2 defective speakers(center and one satellite)? Plus your sub? hmm..

By the way, I also have the 5.2 package, which I bought about 3 weeks ago, but I'm taking my sweet time scouting for a receiver, and the 630 is one of my choices too.

Good luck.

5. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi

The speaker isn't causing the problem, it's displaying the symptom. The amp is clipping and you are hearing it from your center channel. (The speakers may be damaged now, due to the clipping)

With the posted specs on that receiver, you shouldn't be clipping the amp until is cranked pretty high. (on the web they have the ratings listed as CENTER, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 Ohms) This is the proper (most telling) way to rate power, so this should be fine for those speakers.

I think it's the receiver that is the problem. If the receiver is defective, it could be sending distorted signals through the sub pre out also, which means your sub might not be a problem either.

One thing to check is the +/- settings on each speaker. Have you calibrated them with an SPL meter to set them all to the same loudness level? The reason I ask, is if any of your speakers are set at the maximum + setting, it could be overdriving that channel, even at lower volume settings. Same for the Sub +/- Setting.

If you don't have an SPL meter, i would set all the speaker settings to 0, sub setting to 0 and see if the problem persists. Purchase an SPL meter and calibrate with a test disk as soon as you can - you need to identify/fix this problem before the return option runs out.

Hope this helps, let us know how things work out.

6. Mark Amayao

Mark Amayao Stunt Coordinator

I have 2 S8.2 subs and though i havent heard it in my room (probably cause i use towers ... c5 connosieurs) but, i work for the goodguys and it is hooked up to a avr2802 along with the s8.2 and I believe it may have something to do with the protective circuitry inside the sub. As for rattling as if something is loose ..... check the binding posts on your speaker level input on the sub they may be unscrewed a little bit .... that happened to me and i just tightened them and ive had no problems since.