Energy Take 5.2 and Yamaha RXV-540

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RyanU, Nov 16, 2003.

1. RyanU

RyanU Auditioning

Hi all! This is my first post on these forums and I really enjoy reading through the boards daily.

About a month ago, a guy at the TeamXbox forum by the name of Sorny had a link to your forum and I decided to check it out. Thank god, cause it sparked a new interest, even perhaps a future hobby, for me.

Right now I'm only 16 with an $8/hr (canadian) job, so I can't really afford much, but I have scrounged up $1500 that I am willing to use.
    I went to A&B Sound with my dad yesterday and they had a system set up called the Energy Take 5.2. He had it playing through a Marantz receiver, but recommended a Yamaha RXV-540 to go with my budget. I was wondering if this setup would be ideal for games, movies, and the occasional music listening while I do my HW.

Later on in life, once I've established myself as a leading Real-estate owner in Calgary(I hope [​IMG] ), I will obviously get much better stuff, but I figure that for entry level this is descent. Any thoughts, opinions, advice, etc., would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Ryan,

welcome to HTF! the Energy + Yamaha combo is very decent indeed... but if you are in Canada you might want to audition the Paradigm Cinema series as well. good luck and keep doin' that homework [​IMG]

darn.. wow.. 16.. i don't think we even had CDs when i was 16 [​IMG]

3. RyanU

RyanU Auditioning

thanks for the response.....I was beginning to think I wouldnt get one

ya i've located a paradigm dealer thats pretty close to me so I definantly will go check that out....[​IMG]

4. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

hey Ryan,

Weekends and Mondays are always a little slow on HTF [​IMG]

the cinema series + yamaha receiver is a great setup. Be sure to budget for cables, and if you haven't already gotten a DVD player - grab a Pioneer 653A

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to HTF, Ryan. Since your question seems to involve speakers primarily and a receiver secondarily I moved it here. A/V Sources is where you want to post if you have questions about DVD or CD players, turntables, LD players, etc.

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I have the Take 5.2s in my bedroom system with a Harman/Kardon receiver. See if you can find an older H/K somewhere, like on harmanaudio.com. Even though it is a refurb, you get an excellent receiver with a full factory warranty for alot less than you'd be looking to pay. I'm not too fond of the lower end Yamaha receivers. They don't achieve their rated specifications, and the sound sounds bright and hard (at least to me). Marantz receivers are also available as refurbs at accessories4less.com.

Just outta curiousity, what are the prices like out West for the Take 5.2s and the Cinema series ?

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter