Energy Surrounds Speaker help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by scott_tinari, Jan 7, 2002.

1. scott_tinari

scott_tinari Stunt Coordinator

I have Energy EXl-15 for front and Take 5 for the surrounds, I wanna get new surrounds, what would be good. DO I have to stay in the energy class, or can I get other surround speakers

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Get dipoles or bipoles for a different perspective.

Better yet, get the same thing you use as fronts.

Good Luck!

3. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

What center do you have? I have XL16s in a 2 channel bedroom system that I'd like to go 5.1 on.

Maybe demote you XL15s to the rears, and get something else up front?????

4. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Many will say that timbre matched speakers are a must. The surrounds are less important than the front three, though (as many will also say). I think a relevant question is, surrounds for HT, or DVD-A/SACD music? In the case of HT, you want dipole speakers, and timbre matching (IMHO) is less important. In the case of the multichannel music, you want direct radiating, and they really really really should timbre match the front.

Of course, I'm not following my own advice. I have paradigm fronts, and take 5's for my surrounds specifically for HT.

Martin.

5. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    I would suggest you buy a pair of XL 16's for the front and use your XL 15's as the surrounds.
    You can then use your Take 5's as stereo speakers somewhere else.
    I am now a total believer in the Timbre matching issue - I used to run XL 15's as Mains, with JBL 500's as surrounds. I bought XL 16's for the Mains, moved the XL 15's to the surrounds and the difference is HUGE. (admittedly the JBL's were terrible)
    With the XL's being discontinued, I got 15% off the XL 16's.
    Have fun with your shopping
    Paul

6. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Hey Paul,

What are you using as a center?????? Do you have a sub too???

Steve

7. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

I currently am running the XL16's in the front with the XLR bipole/dipoles as my surrounds. Have had gerat luck with both sets of speakers but if you arent sure about the bipole/dipole arrangement I would move your 15's to the rears and get the 16's for the front as suggested above.

8. Jeff_Hunt

Jeff_Hunt Stunt Coordinator

I totally agree with the idea of getting XL-16's for the front and using your XL-15's as surrounds.

For a long time I used XL-16's in front and XL-R's for surrounds. This Christmas Santa brought me two XL-25's. I moved the XL-16's to surround L+R and used the XL-R's for surround rear. One of the first things I noticed was how amazing the XL-16's were as surrounds. For me it is far better than the dipoles, but you may have a different room that favors them.

9. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi mctague
    I'm using the EXL - C as the center - I bought it before the C2 came out - however, I feel it's big enough for my room anyway.
    I just recently upgraded my sub to an EXL-8.2 - I'm usually a huge believer in 10" subs or up, but this one was engineered to compete with some 10" subs - the frequency response is 27Hz
    I bought it for a number of reasons - I had originally bought a Quest 10" sub - before I knew very much about HT. I then found that it's frequency response is 35Hz (not good). Also, the port is rear mounted, which fires toward my condo neighbours bedroom - I had to keep the volume pretty low.
    When I found out about the new 8.2, which has the port on the front, goes lower and was only $399.00 CDN, I put it on my list!
    When i recently went to Bay Bloor to pick up XL15's and an XLC for my friend, they had a huge sale on Energy - I got the sub for $379.00 CDN including tax!!
    It's punchy for music, much lower for HT and has a 400 watt/ 100 watt RMS amp. It also has a Video/Music switch to tune freq vs. volume.
    I'm in the process of 'playing' with it to determine final location and crossover settings. I have the 'standard' setup of all speakers small, crossover maxed on the sub. Since the crossover on the Sub only goes to 100Hz, and LFE can go up to 120Hz, I'm wondering whether I should go Large on the fronts. Seems like I should start a new thread about this, eh?
    Take it easy
    Paul

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, I agree with the notion of getting e:XL 16s to use as your mains and using the e:XL 15s as surrounds. However, I do agree with the notion of timbre matching all speakers in a 5.1 system. As a result, I use e:XL 16s as mains and surrounds and an e:XL-C2 center speaker. I thought about saving some money by getting the e:XL 15s for surrounds, but they have a different tweeter than the e:XL 16s, and the e:XL 16s weren't that much more expensive than the e:XL 15s. So, if you can go with e:XL 16s for your mains and surrounds, do it.