Energy Speakers Querie?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Milt C, May 17, 2004.

1. Milt C

Milt C Auditioning

Hello friends,

I am in the process of upgrading my receiver and surround sound speakers to the new Denon 3805 and the Energy Encore 2 speaker set (may take awhile but I've got my heart set on it!). What I am wondering is this: the Denon receiver is capable of 7.1 sound and how should I go about the extra 2 side speakers -

Should I get another set of Encore 2 satellites (making a total of 6)

or

perhaps the Connoisseur C-R1 or C-R3 rear channel bi/dipoles.

If so, which would compliment the Encore 2 system better?

Any help/experience would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance ... Milt

2. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You'd be much better off getting a much better pair of front L/R speakers since they'd be used most, especially for music listening (and well movies, since soundtracks are integral parts of movies). Then use the 4 satellites that come in the Encore package as surrounds. Put some C3s up front (or C1s if space is tight). I think in the long run, that'll be better.

I have a Take 5.2 setup in which I've replaced the front L/R with Veritas 2.1s. Yummy.

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Actually, why not do an all Conoisseur setup?

4. KenRen

KenRen Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Drew. Go with C1s upfront and use your current fronts as the rear center speakers.

You are already going to expand your rear soundfield by adding the rear center so moving to the C-R1 or C-R3, using their dipole construction to expand the soundfield, would be redundant to some extent. Besides, they are much more expensive than a pair of C-1s.

If you go with the C3s up front, (which I use for my rear surrounds) I'm afraid your center will then sound weak. (C3s are very nice speakers and a large jump over the C1s.) Which would require you to move to a new C-C1 center, and the some better surrounds like the C-R1, and so on. It would start to forever costly upgraditous syndrom.

To get 7.1 going, without envoking upgraditous, getting a little better sound from the front, still expanding the rear soundfield, can't go wrong with C-1 fronts. Nice price too is money is tight.

My two cents,

KenRen

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I have no problem running a Take 1.2 centre channel with Veritas L/R. It blends quite nicely for movies, but if you do multichannel music, then you'll find the smaller centre a little lacking and should upgrade to a larger centre.