Energy Speaker upgrade question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Rendall, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

I currently have the Take 5 (first version) system with Energy sub. While fine for HT, it lacks for music. I'm looking for an economical way to improve the situation*.

Could I mix in two e:XL26 Floorstanding Speakers to replace the Take 2 mains? Would this sound alright?

Assume I won't be upgrading the center for a while. I can also run both the Take 2 and the e:XL26 at the same time from my receiver, to help with smooth audio pans.

So, could I get more range without greatly sacrificing the matched timbre soundstage?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Martin.

(*) I would love to get Studio 100's, but the WAF comes into play!

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

for the same price the 26's run see if you can get the Audisys 2+2's instead. I've heard both and IMO the ex:L line isn't as good for music as the Aud or Con line. The conniseaur's are discontinued and hard to find but you might see some still around if you look though the 2+2's are still my favorite

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Interesting Andrew. Do you think they'd match fairly well with the other Take 5 speakers?

Why don't I open the question up a bit. Has anybody upgraded their Take 5 piecemeal? How did you do it?

Thanks,

Martin.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Martin, I don't think Energy e:XL 26s will work too well with the Take 5 system (the e:XL-S8 subwoofer would be O.K.). Just my thoughts on the matter, as I have listened to the Take 5 system and the entire e:XL line. Does your receiver or amp have two sets of speaker inputs for mains (A and B)? If so, you could use the Take 5 mains for home-theater (A inputs, for example) and the e:XL 26s for music (B inputs). Just a thought. Then, if you were to upgrade other speakers to the e:XL series over time, you could use the e:XL 26s for home-theater too.

As I think about it, another thing you might do is spring for the e:XL-C or e:XL-C2 center channel along with the e:XL 26s. It might not be the "end of the world" to use the Take 5 satellites for surrounds with the e:XL-C/C2 and e:XL 26s. You already have the e:XL-S8 subwoofer. Using the Take 5 satellites as surrounds wouldn't be ideal, but they could suffice, so you might not feel compelled to upgrade everything at once. In any event, seeing as you live in Canada, you should be able to get good prices on the e:XL-C or e:XL-C2 at Audioshop, Future Shop, etc. I live in the US, and the e:XL-C is only $200 USD. I just upgraded from the e:XL-C to the e:XL-C2 ($350 USD) and am very pleased with my decision. The e:XL-C2 is decidedly better than the e:XL-C, but if cost is a significant issue, the e:XL-C is still a quality center speaker for the price. I should note that Energy recommends pairing the e:XL-C2 with the e:XL 26s.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andrew, my local Energy dealer told me the Audissey series has been discontinued too. Energy still shows the series on its web site, but the Energy dealers I have been to in my area (three) are featuring the e:XL and Veritas lines.

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

yes the Aud's are discontinued too but are generally easier to find then the C-2's etc. The Take's aren't going to sonically match the 2+2's but at least you've got a great musical speaker base your future upgrades on...the biggest issue will be with the centre's not matching that well. Depenind on what your funds look like for now and the future you might consider getting the front three now and using the take's as rears or just get the mains now and add the matching centre later.