What's new

Energy-saving dimmables (1 Viewer)

Kamil_k

Grip
A couple of years ago I found these on closeout at HD and they work great. Put out 100W of light for the cost of about 23 watts. Save money and the earth, and they run cool so several can lights do not heat up a room.

Now I want to put these in my HT room. Using regular 65 w (x 8) floods, the room heats up room pretty quick. I know, they would be off during the movie, but I will use the room for reading, music and treadmill work as well.

I could not find this product at either HD or Lowe's. Plenty of the efficient lights; but they are all marked as 'non-dimmable'. Must... have... dimmers.

Anyone know where they can be found? Ideally, they would not be too long and fit inside the space of a normal can lite without protruding.

Kamil_k

Grip
A couple of years ago I found these on closeout at HD and they work great. Put out 100W of light for the cost of about 23 watts. Save money and the earth, and they run cool so several can lights do not heat up a room.

Now I want to put these in my HT room. Using regular 65 w (x 8) floods, the room heats up room pretty quick. I know, they would be off during the movie, but I will use the room for reading, music and treadmill work as well.

I could not find this product at either HD or Lowe's. Plenty of the efficient lights; but they are all marked as 'non-dimmable'. Must... have... dimmers.

Anyone know where they can be found? Ideally, they would not be too long and fit inside the space of a normal can lite without protruding.

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Kamil...

HD did sell dimmable compact fluorescents about 2+ years ago. They were made by Philips but unfortunately they experienced nothing but problems with them. They had a lot of customer returns and since then HD has not carried any that are dimmable. As to where else, you could try a specialty lighting store, or look through Google. I do not know if you will have any luck.

Gods Love
chris

P.S. I found this whilst Google-ing.

15W Dimmable R-30

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Kamil...

HD did sell dimmable compact fluorescents about 2+ years ago. They were made by Philips but unfortunately they experienced nothing but problems with them. They had a lot of customer returns and since then HD has not carried any that are dimmable. As to where else, you could try a specialty lighting store, or look through Google. I do not know if you will have any luck.

Gods Love
chris

P.S. I found this whilst Google-ing.

15W Dimmable R-30

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
On the topic of energy efficient theatre lighting, I was wondering the other day if it would be possible to light your theatre (even your whole house?) with LEDs. I know they're being used in car headlights, and a ton of other applications these days, and they have extremely bright ones that take very little energy to run, and last forever. I think it would be pretty cool to have a fancy LED-lit room. Not to mention energy efficient and maintenance free.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Kamil:

I ran into the same problem the other day at Lowe's.

I did find this site though. Let me know if you order any and how they work out.

Parker

Owen, I have looked into LEDs for home and there is some neat stuff out but it's pricey!
Try
http://www.sagelighting.com
Sage Lighting is in BC, I've called them and the MR16 LED replacement bulbs are about equal to 15-20W halogen. recomended for accent lighting, very focused beam. The LED light strips were recomended for undercabinet or cove/tray ceilings, the person that I talked to said that they have their kitchen done with under cabinet lighting LED strips and never shut them off because of the next to nothing power draw and no heat.

Steve

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Steve, thanks for the link, those look like they would be great to have in a new or reno'ed home. I'll have to do some more research into this...

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
LEDs are getting better all the time, but the 'white' LEDs still have fairly 'funny' color. Good for flashlights, not so good for general lighting.

On the other hand, there are some people who make LED lighting with RGB triads or other mixes like that. You can tune them, and fairly often get close to reasonable light.

It's still hideously expensive...

Leo Kerr

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Chris, that is a very cool, tiny little light! Would it be comparable in brightness to say... a map light in a car, or a cheap wall plug nightlight for example?

I'm considering switching the overhead lights in the camper and if they give off a decent amount (even in a cluster of 3 or 4, it might work very well.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Chris, that is a very cool, tiny little light! Would it be comparable in brightness to say... a map light in a car, or a cheap wall plug nightlight for example?

I'm considering switching the overhead lights in the camper and if they give off a decent amount (even in a cluster of 3 or 4, it might work very well.

Chris_HA

Agent
To not venture too off topic, I will say that you COULD use these in a HT setup as well:

Look at this product from Hella. I use it for exterior lighting when camping. It is fairly bright for an LCD fixture, but pretty directional. It also uses only 0.7W!

http://www.hellamarine.com/frame_sst...ne=LED%20Lamps

As for the Microstar (which West Marine sells), it is brighter than a night light (at least one of the EL ones, but is much dimmer and subdued than an any incandescent bulb. It is also directional, as most LED's are.

Bottom line: Install a Microstar or two above your primary seating postion in an HT and you will be able to read a peace of paper, operate an unlit remote, etc with little or NO light spill into the room. I believe that it can be dimmed with a 12V rheostat.

Chris_HA

Agent
To not venture too off topic, I will say that you COULD use these in a HT setup as well:

Look at this product from Hella. I use it for exterior lighting when camping. It is fairly bright for an LCD fixture, but pretty directional. It also uses only 0.7W!

http://www.hellamarine.com/frame_sst...ne=LED%20Lamps

As for the Microstar (which West Marine sells), it is brighter than a night light (at least one of the EL ones, but is much dimmer and subdued than an any incandescent bulb. It is also directional, as most LED's are.

Bottom line: Install a Microstar or two above your primary seating postion in an HT and you will be able to read a peace of paper, operate an unlit remote, etc with little or NO light spill into the room. I believe that it can be dimmed with a 12V rheostat.

Cary_H

Second Unit
I have dealt with both dimmable compact fluorescents and dimmable conventional fluorescents.
The reason for all the problems everybody had with them was due to them requiring an initial break in period.
Virtually nobody in the industry was aware of this requirement.
With the subsequent replacements subjected to a full load break in period over a weekend put an end to our issues with them.

Cary_H

Second Unit
I have dealt with both dimmable compact fluorescents and dimmable conventional fluorescents.
The reason for all the problems everybody had with them was due to them requiring an initial break in period.
Virtually nobody in the industry was aware of this requirement.
With the subsequent replacements subjected to a full load break in period over a weekend put an end to our issues with them.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Cary:

I have been using CFLs in my downstairs room that is on a dimmer with no problems. Also, I understand you shouldn't use them in a fixture that is controlled electronicly (in this case with a motion sensor) but I haven't had any problems with them at all.

What have you heard is the problem with using a standard CFL on a dimmer as opposed to getting one that is made for using on a dimmer?

Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Cary:

I have been using CFLs in my downstairs room that is on a dimmer with no problems. Also, I understand you shouldn't use them in a fixture that is controlled electronicly (in this case with a motion sensor) but I haven't had any problems with them at all.

What have you heard is the problem with using a standard CFL on a dimmer as opposed to getting one that is made for using on a dimmer?

Parker

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Parker...

How long have you been using the CFL's on that dimmer? Is it a dimmer that is rated for incandescent lighting? I am surprised that those CFL's have lasted more than a couple of weeks. Do you turn them on at all or very often?

Gods Love
chris

Chris Lanni

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christopher
Parker...

How long have you been using the CFL's on that dimmer? Is it a dimmer that is rated for incandescent lighting? I am surprised that those CFL's have lasted more than a couple of weeks. Do you turn them on at all or very often?

Gods Love
chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks