Energy S8.2 sub defective?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ben LG, Oct 2, 2003.

1. Ben LG

Ben LG Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the Energy S8.2 sub and Im not quite sure if it is defective so I need some help from you guys. When I connected it for the first time after unpacking it (line in), I got a loud hum that didnt stop even when I removed the rca cable out from my receiver, the only way to stop it was to switch the sub off. I tried connecting through the other two inputs, xover and using the speaker wire yet I still get no signal. I tried cranking the volume up thinking the auto-on might not be getting the signal and I also used different outlets with no luck. Does it sound like it is defective merchandise? The only thing I could think of that might have been my fault was I had music playing already when connecting the sub but at a very low volume so I doubt it coulve damaged the sub.

I called up the shop I bought it from to try to troubleshoot the problem and the rep told me that with Energy equipment, they had a less than 1% return rate so Im wondering if I just caught a lemon.

2. John Ch

John Ch Auditioning

I have Energy Speaker system at home.

Energy Subwoofer - similar to your problem, kept humming because of the power transformer inside it. Got it replaced.

Energy Front Speakers - distored in midrange in the first week I purchased. Got it replaced too.

Energy Surround Speaker - broken air vent after unpacked, returned it right away and had a new replacement.

Energy rear surround Speaker - not born yet, waiting for price to come down a bit.

Energy Center Speaker - lucky, no problem at all.

I still like Energy, they have very excellent performance to my taste with reasonable prices.

3. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

I have my energy take 5.2 and an s8.2 and I connected it with everything off and when I turned it all on it worked perfectly. Maybe that is why it is recommended to have all your connections made before turning things on. But it sounds like there is something genuinely wrong with your sub, and it is not your fault.
    Take it back and have them test it see what happens.
    If they get the same thing then its obviously the sub.