Energy, Paradigm, or Polk

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Tim - W, Jan 17, 2004.

1. Tim - W

Tim - W Extra

I have an Onkyo TX-SR601 and am having A LOT of difficulty picking speakers that will be about 70% HT and 30% music. I am currently looking at the following (keep in mind that my rear surrounds will be in-ceiling because it is pre-wired in my home that way):

Energy Take 2.2 front satellites with the Take 1.2 center and S8.2 sub. The benefit of this system is that my wife likes the speakers because they are small. Would have to choose the in-ceiling that matched these the best.

Paradigm Titans or Atoms in the front with the CC-170 center and the PD-10 sub. Would have to choose the in-ceiling that matched these the best.

Polk RTi4's in the front with the CSi3 center and the PSW303 sub. I would then use the Polk RC60i or RC80i in-ceiling speakers.

What does everyone think.

2. Justin_D

Justin_D Stunt Coordinator

I have the RTi6s, and I can tell ya the 4s will probably not satisfy you. Either consider the 6s or better, or go with one of the other brands. The 4s have a smaller drivers, and won't seem as "alive."

EDIT: Also, stay away from Polk subs. Although they make great speakers for the price, their subs leave something to be desired. The subwoofer does NOT have to match the other speakers. You may want to consider another brand all together for the sub such as: Velodyne, SVS, Klipsch, etc.

Good luck.

3. Topher

Topher Stunt Coordinator

I have the TX-SR601 also, I just picked up some RTi70's and think they sound incredible... check with CC because they have been practically giving away the older models lately... I got my RTi70's for $300, but since I traded up my Polk R30's using their speaker trade in program, I got them for $100. A STEAL!

4. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

I'm doing a 6.1 install today in a new house with three Polk RC60i's for surrounds, RTi28 and CSi30 in the front with an Onkyo 501 receiver. I'll let you know how the RC60i's work out, but they looked pretty solid when we put them in the ceiling. They're well made and look very nice when installed. I like the aimable tweeters.

My personal system is an Onkyo 600 with 5 Polk RTi28's, a CSi40 and a SVS 20-39CS+ subwoofer with Samson 1000 amp. Polks sound very nice with Onkyo gear, so I think you'd be happy with that package. But as the earlier poster said, avoid Polk subs. They're not worth it for the price and even their most expensive offering doesn't hold a candle to SVS' cheapest one.

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I have the Paradigm Focus and cc270 ctr. I feel this is an excellent value, and very superb sound. They image very well, and I spent a lot of time auditioning and researching.
    (almost went with the Axiom M22 or M3 but the only way to audition is to order them.

6. Tim - W

Tim - W Extra

Thanks for the input to date.

7. soundsgreat

soundsgreat Auditioning

Any updates guys? Please let me know what you think after having your speakers all this time. Thanks!

8. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I picked up a pair of the Polk 6's along with the center for a demo and thought for the money they were a good value. In the end I wound up going Klipsch ref, but thought the Polk's were very respectable for the $$. The C comes across very nicely and I liked it better than another higher end Internet brand center that seems to be popular.

As far as the sub goes.. to be honest with you I have never gave any of them a chance or will. It might serve your needs, but there are much better subs for your $$.

9. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

The Take's are excellent speakers...considering their size...but if you can swing the Atom's they're worth it. A plus with the p'digms as well is that they have in ceiling/in-wall speakers so finding a match wouldn't be that difficult.