What's new

Energy or Polk? (1 Viewer)

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
good day all..

what are your ideas about Energy Take 5.2 and Polk Audio RM6600 sub/sat system?
which would be the more sonically balanced system?

thanks..

Cire

Edit to include PS:

by the way, to expand to 6.1, do i use an identical center channel speaker for the rear center? or should i use one that's identical to one of the satellites?
thanks again..

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Polk RM 6600 and would like to comment on them.

MY REVIEW:

These have great detail to them and are very sonicly balanced to begin with. A quality high current system can make these sound spactacular. The sounds seem to flow effortlessly with mids and highs coming off as very clear and without any distortions. The sounds are better than my local theaters. It may however be confusing. You may actually mistake these speakers for insects chirping or strangers talking somewhere inside your home. This is espicially true if you use these for 7.1 surrounds. This problem has been refered to as "fight or flight" and if this sort of thing bothers you or you are nervous alot, you may want to look at some different speakers. I'm being serious here.

The problems that may occur is if you over drive these speakers they are very sensitive and are quick to become loose with a poor sound source. The tweeter is impossible to blow I think. I never had any poblems with the tweeters. If you send them off for repair, when you get them back they may no longer be sonicly matched to be even nearly close. They would be alot louder and even more realistic sounding however. You would also find they each had more frequency range than before as well but I beleave thats true with all speakers that are broken in.

I find that they are not accurate with frequencies that are only lower than 120 HZ when they are given large burst of sound. If they are mixed with some mid range frequencies at the same time the handle just fine.

If your running high current you should not have as many problems however. If you begin with high current unlike me that bought mine in seperate stages, and you have a good reciever already to use (I went through 2 others before the Denon) on them they would stay sonicly balanced and I think you would really enjoy them for their value, quality, and craftsmanship.

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
For 6.1 surround you may not need a matching rear speaker. I use a Polk CSi40 for my center and I have used the old RM6600 center as 6.1 before and it sounded good. The center channel lacks some considerable range in comparison to the surrounds so I would recommend a 7.1 surround setup with the RM2300s in the RM6600 system.

Sorry I forgot to mention that about the center channel. I just forgot about it.

These are good intro speakers. You will not need anything else afterwards unless you are a purist like me, and you listen to movies at reference volume.

Cire

Stunt Coordinator
thanks, Steve..
about the 'fight or flight' thing, do you mean there's no localization of sound?
got no problem with that bro.. as long as it doesn't really sound like an insect.. hehe...
thanks again..

by the way, do you use the PSW350 sub?

Cire

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
No I got two 15" subs powerd by a pair of Marantz MA500s.
I already had these speakers from a spare car system so I didn't get the Polk sub.

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my setup
Except that I have a 7.1 setup now with the RM2300s instead of the old center channel. My left rear is not powerd by a seperate.
Time to fix the schematic.....
Edit: Schematic is fixed now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks