What's new

Energy, Mirage and Sound Dynamics vs. (1 Viewer)

Louis D

Agent
Hey again all, got a question. What does anyone know about Energy, Mirage or Sound Dynamics speakers as compared to Paradigm, and what would you suggest. Thinking Monitor9 for Paradigm, but someone mentioned to check out these other three. Any ideas?

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
These 3 companies are run by Audio Products International(API) out of Canada. Sound Dynamics is the budget brand, then Energy and then Mirage. They also have a 4th speaker brand thats a recent addition called Athena thats around the same price, if not less than Sound Dynamics.

You would be best to check into the Energys and Mirages. The Mirage are a bipolar and needs lots of breathing room(although forward radiating models can be had). So if space is an issue you might want to forget about bipolars. Their a bit of a pain in the ass to set up but once done can have a great soundstage. A neat fact about API is that the National Research Council of Canada spent a lot of time and money testing and researching various speaker designs and such and it has benefited the consumer greatly. API speakers, Paradigms and other Canadian speakers are well known for their great sound, at affordable prices.

As for Paradigm they are an excellent speaker too so the best advice I can offer is to give them all a listen. Get the dealer to hook up the same amp you will be using and go from there.

Good luck!

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Louis D, I have the Mirage FRx-7 Towers(35Hz-22KHz,+/-3db). I was originally trying to hear Paradigms at a local hifi store and was very tuned off by the sales people( another thread not worth my horrible typing). I went to another mid -high end store to audition some B&Ws with a set price range (5-700.00). The dealer there turned me on to these Mirages. I brought them home(FRx-5 and 7) and a/b them versus Tannoys from another dealer and was overwhelmed by the Mirages. The dealer would have gladly sold me the B&Ws at the similar price range but thought I might like the "warm sound" of the Mirage.
On the other hand, I have a friend that does not care for my Mirages and is very happy with his energy towers(not sure which one).
Go audition as many as you can so that you are happy.:D

Dave Cukina

Stunt Coordinator
I have mirage om-10's all around and the om-c2 centre, they are great speakers but really do need a lot of room to breath. When I was shopping around I auditioned some energy's(can't remember model)but found the om-10's were warmer sounding and I got a great price on them as well.

the only advise I can give is the same as everyone else pick a few in your price range and start listening...

Dave

I have Energy XL25 towers for L/R, XL15's for surrounds, room not big enough for dipoles! and XL-C center channel. They are great sounding speakers IMO especially in their price range. I think Athena and Paradigm present a better overall soundstage but if you are looking for a good buy Energy is definitely the way to go.

Louis D

Agent
Thx everyone for their replies. I already am using the Monitor3 from Paradigm as my fronts, but was going to upgrade, and have been looking at the Monitor9 and the Studio80 from Paradigm. Love Paradigm sound clarity and quality, but I just wanted to see if there was anything else out there for the money. thx again!

-Never stop upgrading!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks