What's new

Energy HT vs. Definitive HT (1 Viewer)

Jim Meeks

Grip
Ok, here's my NEW dilemma. You may have read my pvs. post regarding the e:XL series questions. I have a new wrinkle.

Just finished auditioning a Definitive Tech set up as follows:

ProCenter C2 (center) $299

ProMonitor 100 (front l/r) $350/pr

ProMonitor 80/BP1.2x/BP2x (rear l/r) $225/350/500

ProSub 80/100TL/200TL (sub) $350/450/550

I am comparing this against the e:XL series as follows:

e:XL C2 (center) $261.66

e:XL 26 (front l/r) $562.32 /pr

e:XL 16 (rear l/r) $222.32 /pr

e:XLS 12 (sub) $552.70

Now unfortunately, I cannot compare them side by side, so I must ask YOU, good forum members, for your insight.

The differences as I see them, are around $100, and size of the speakers. (The DT's being much smaller)

Question:

-is there a large difference in quality between these two setups? (in the stores I demo'ed, the Energy was just below the top of the line, while the Def Tech setup was 'entry level' at the other store)

-regarding the Def Tech, I assumed the highest end for this price comparison, i.e. BP2x's for rears and the 12" sub. I listed the other models in case you feel they would round the system out just as well.

-pros and cons for each? final recommendations?

Also, I have seen a few receivers I like. Considering your above choices, which receivers fit the bill? The Marantz 5/6200 came with high praise, with Onkyo, Denon and Outlaw each receiving votes.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

-Jim

Ricky c

Stunt Coordinator
I can only tell you what i have.I have the Def.Tech.100's all around with the pro100 center and the 200tl sub.I have them powered with a Marantz sr7000.They are probably the best sub/sat system on the market.They sound alot bigger than what they appear.The only thing is you should wire them according to def.tech. recommendations.Which is wire speakers to sub and lfe thru receiver.Mains to large rest to small and sub yes.You get the best of both worlds.You won't regret the def.tech's.I guess i'm partial to them.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I quite like most Energy speakers but I find the ex:L line really isn't very musical compared to their old speakers. If music is important to you I'd maybe consider another set...of course thats just my oppion

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
My system:

EXLC2 center

EXL26 fronts

EXL16 sides and rear

Martin Logan Descent Subwoofer

Denon AVR3802

Denon DVD3300

That said, and having dirctly compared them toall sorts of def-techs, I can confidently say that the EXLs handily beat the DefTechs. My 2 cents.

The EXL series is Energys entry level speaker package (besides their sub-sat systems "Take" and "Encore") Above the EXL is conissuier and the $1500- $4000/pair Veritas. For the price, I think the EXLs cant be beat. But to be honest, I have always hated the sound of Defenitive speakers. Kinda wimpy. I plan on upgrading soon to veritas or maybe Martin Logans

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks