What's new

Energy EX:L's VS Mission M70 series. (1 Viewer)

JeffreyH

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, as I mentioned in an earlier post I am upgrading my Energy Take 5's. I wanted to jump up to the Ex:L series, most likely the 16's and Ex:l-C. My local Energy dealer went under earlier this year, so I went for a drive today to the next nearest Energy dealer to find out they stopped carrying them!!

It's very high-end shop and the salesmans reason was that Mission had speakers that out-performed the Energy 5.2 and EX:L lineup for the same or less money.

In the end 8 out of 10 customers would buy the competing Mission's!

So I asked him what he'd suggest instead of the Ex:l 16's and he pointed me towards the Mission M71's and matching center. A good deal less cash while outperforming the 16's!

$300/pr and $199 for the center, Canadian prices.

They're also very nice looking speakers, with the exception of the center, which looks as cheap as it is.

So I didn't get to compare them to the Energy's.

Although he mentioned the Ex:l's to be too bright.

I do think I'll be going with these, that's two salesman I've had lead me away from the Energy's.

I trust this shop, and they gave up Energy's line-up willingly, saying that the Take 5.2's not being able to stand next to Mission's competing model was the beginning of the end for Energy at their shop.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Jeffrey,
I have to agree with you. A couple of months ago I went into a local shop and was demoing both the Energy E:XL16 and the Mission m71.
At first I quite liked the sound of the Energys, it seemed fairly accurate and "energetic". Then, on the salesman's advice, we hooked up the Missions. The sound seemed a little bit more mellow, quite pleasing really. After an hour or so of A/B comparisons, I decided that I actually liked the Missions better.
This was all well and good until I saw & heard the center channel and stopped dead in my tracks. "cheap as can be" is the perfect description. My 2nd-hand old-skool Kenwood center channel looks better than that plastic monstrosity, and I didn't think it matched the quality of the m71s at all.
So here I sit, waiting with bated breath for Mission to release a more competent (and nicer looking!) matched center channel...
Good luck in your quest! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks