Energy Ex:L-15's over Take 5's??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JeffreyH, Dec 6, 2001.

1. JeffreyH

JeffreyH Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys right now I have the Energy Take 5 system with Energy's 10inch sub. I've had them for about 3 years.

I'm looking to upgrade the front three speakers and maybe the rears later on.

It's a small room and what I really want a difference in is the center channel speaker.

So now I'm looking at the Ex:L-C and a pair of Ex:L-15's to start and maybe later on get a pair of EX:l-16's, and move the 15's to the back.

Sound good so far?

Now, what if at first I just bought the EX:l-C until I got the money for the rest, would it sound out of place with the Take 5 system?

I don't need floor standing speakers of anything big, just a step up from the Take 5's.

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeffrey, I don't think the e:XL-C center speaker would be a good match for the rest of the Take 5 set-up. If you are going to change anything, spring for new mains along with the new center speaker. As a suggestion, however, I would get the e:XL 16s from the get-go if you can. They aren't too much more expensive than the e:XL 15s and are much better. I live in the US, and Energy dealers here sell the e:XL 16s for $250 USD/pair, so they aren't too expensive. Another point to consider is that the e:XL 15s use a different tweeter from the rest of the e:XL line and, therefore, are not timbre-matched with the other speakers. You would be better served in the end having e:XL 16s for the mains and surrounds rather than using e:XL 15s as surrounds. I bought an Energy e:XL package last year and went with the e:XL 16s as mains and surrounds. For the price, I have been very pleased with this set-up.

3. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    Just wanted to let you know that the XL 15's ARE timbre matched with the rest of the Energy XL line. The tweeters are a different size, but tweeter size is not the ' be all and end all' to timbre matching.
    I use an XL-C and 2 XL 15's up front and it sounds quite good. In the future I may buy the XL16's or XL 25's for up front, but in the meantime, I have $200 speakers that are working well.
    In Canada the difference in price is more significant
    XL 15 - $200-$250
    XL 16 - $349
    The salesmen usually try to upsell you the 16's by mentioning the tweeter size, but the Energy documentation does not support this. Check it out at
    http://www.energy-speakers.com/exl/e...brochures.html
    Look at the XL Overview document
    I agree with Keith that upgrading the Center and Mains is the best course of action, so the cost is the final factor. I think the C and 15's work well, but for the extra $100 it's probably worth going to the XL 16's. I had 2 problems with this for my own layout - 16's were too big, and I got the 15's for $200.00, so it was almost half price to the 16's
    Paul

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Paul, the tweeter on the e:XL 15s is not only smaller than that on the e:XL 16s, but it is also made of a different material. This is why people say the e:XL 15s are not timbre-matched with the rest of the e:XL series. The e:XL 16s, e:XL 25s, e:XL 26s, e:XL 28Ps, e:XL-C, and e:XL-C2 all use the same aluminum dome tweeter. I first learned the difference between the tweeters from Marc Hallam of Audioshop in Ontario, who is very reputable. Nevertheless, the e:XL 16s are not very expensive ($250 USD/pair) and are worth the extra money over the e:XL 15s, in my opinion. Just my $0.02 on the matter.

5. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

I did this same upgrade about 2 months ago. I had the Take 5 system with the 10 inch sub. I finally decided on the E:XL16's as my fronts with the E:XLC2 as my center. The 16's are a great product for the price and you won't be disappointed in the C2 as the center. I would definately get the 16's over the 15's, jsut listen and you will see why. Also look at the C2 center over the C center. its about $80-$100 more but well worth it considering the amount of sound that is pumped through your center speaker.

Good Luck

6. JeffreyH

Thanks for the input guys. I too talked with Marc at Audioshop in Ottawa. He told me about the 15's tweeter and that the Ex:L line is discontinued.

He also pointed me towards the Axiom M1ti and matching center that are priced the same but sound better then the Energy's. I just don't like the looks of them, I guess that doens't matter though if they sound better.

The prices on Energy speakers are down on his site so tomorrow I'm going for a drive to price the Energy's.

Should be some good deals out there with the current situation.

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeffrey, I had not heard that the e:XL series was being discontinued, but it isn't too surprising. The series has been around for a couple of years now. It will be interesting to see what Energy comes out with to replace the e:XL series.

8. JeffreyH

Yeah, I was surprised to hear that as well. The Ex:l's along with the Take 5's. I did know the Take 5's were done at the end of this year.

Kinda sucks, my dream speakers are the 28p's.

I'll let everyone know what my search turns up with the Ex:l line-up.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jeffrey, Energy replaced the Take 5 with the well-regarded Take 5.2, so I am sure they have a new quality line-up set to replace the e:XL series. Maybe the e:XXL? [​IMG] In any event, you should be able to get a good deal on e:XL speakers now. Alternatively, you might want to inquire if your dealer knows when a replacement for the e:XL series will be available.