1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Energy Es-8 vs Sony SA WM40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Currently, these two subs are on eBay at a pretty affordable price. Which one of these in your opinion sounds better? I have only heard the Sony set up at Best Buy, but haven't heard the Energy because nobody has it set up. Thanks
    Chris

2. Kieran Coghlan

Kieran Coghlan Second Unit

I've never heard the sony... but consider this: Energy is a speaker and subwoofer company... they specialize in speakers and subs... all the make are speakers and subwoofers. Then consider that Sony is, well... just Sony. They're not known for making top notch speakers.
    Then consider that the ES-8 was hailed as one of the best, if not THE best subwoofer for under $300 when it came out. (Granted that was almost 2.5 years ago now). One reviewer said he'd buy two ES-8's over any one of SEVERAL $600 subwoofers.
    ------------------
    -Kieran
    My HT Page

3. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

And then consider the raves and highly regarded opinions the Sony sub has on this forum.

4. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

I'd go with the Energy for music and the Sony for movies. Depends on what's more important to you.
    ------------------
    "But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy