Energy ES 12 subwoofer setup help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shanil, Jan 15, 2003.

1. Shanil

Shanil Extra

Hi all,
    I just purchased an Energy ES12 sub (12",150W) and Im not too clear on the setup. It has the usual volume and crossover settings which I know how to set, But it also has a variable phase control which can be set anywhere between 0 and 180, and it has a LF EQ variable control which is adjustable between -3db and +3db. Im not sure how to set these 2 controls. The sub is not ported so Im not sure weather this is good or bad.
    What are your opinions on this sub? Has anyone tried it or heard it? I tried to search this site but couldnt find anything on it.

2. Shanil

Shanil Extra

Anybody ??
    There must be someone out there who has an idea?

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

I remember those subs. I was fond of it because of it's tight bass, low cost and flexible placement options.
    The phase control is to compensate for where you placed the sub in the room. Sort of like a time delay so that the sound from the sub reaches your ears at the same time as the sound of from the main speakers. If the sub is pretty close to being the same distance to your listening position as your main speakers, then you would set it to zero. If you move the sub much further away though then the 180 degree postion would be applicable. It's easy to tell though when it's set right. When the phase control is in the wrong position, it sounds like you have less bass. Adjust it until you get a nice, full sound.
    The EQ control lets you adjust the frequencies around 50hz; either boosting or cutting. That can compensate for bass bloom when corner loaded or you can just set it to your taste.