Energy Encore 6 vs Polk RM7200

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JeremyX, Feb 16, 2004.

1. JeremyX

JeremyX Stunt Coordinator

Hey all,

I am trying to make a decsion on a small HT setup. I am having to sell my floor standing speakers and get a satellite setup for a small living room. I will have very limited space where I am placing my TV and thus I need a fairly small speaker combo to place around it.

My listening needs are for music and mostly movies. Dialog is really important to me. A big sub is not necessary since this is for an apartment.

Here are the details.

I have a 42" plasma going into a corner. The right wall has a sliding glass door and vertical shades. The shades are roughtly 43" from the corner. This means, and please someone better at math corect me if I am wrong, this means the hypotonuse of the right angle is 60". So if the plasma screen were to be placed at the 43" line and the plasma screen is 40" across horizontally I would have 10" on either side to place some shielded speakers.

The Polks satellites are 6.75" wide and only 4" deep.

The Energy's are 5.1" wide and 7.5" deep.

Both can be wall mounted, but I think that might be odd to place them above the plasma..not sure..any thoughts?

So basically...is my math right? And what would be the best way to go between the Energy's and the Polks?

I know there are other brands out there..but aesthetically and performance wise I really liek these two. So unless there is something fundamentally wrong with my two candidates, please try to just giving me feedback on these options.

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. JeremyX

JeremyX Stunt Coordinator

No one has any thoughts?

I need to pull the trigger on this ASAP. :/

3. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

I haven't done geometry since high school and that was 25 years ago so I won't attempt to calculate your math.

Maybe I missed it but is your plasma being mounted on the wall in the corner or placed there on a stand? Why must you place the speakers above the plasma? Sounds like you have 10" on either side.

I've heard the Energy Encores and the Polk 6700, not the 7200. Both sound great but you didn't state what you're using to power them.

A little impatient aren't you? You only waited 90 minutes to post your second response.

4. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Between the two I liked the Energy Encores better. In the end, I went with Cambridge Soundworks which I thought sounded better than both of those.

Greg

5. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,

I've not heard the RM7200, but I do own the RM6700's, have them set up in a small room, and love them! I auditioned several ultra-small set-ups including the Energy Take 5.2's and preferred the sound of the Polks. At the time I purchased them (almost a year ago now), a promo was going on for a free Polk PSW303 sub which does a decent job in my small room.

6. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Debbie, The promo is still on and i bought my RM6700 along with PSW 303 too(paid 100 $ difference because the free sub is PSW202) and i too am extremely satisfied with the quality of 6700,amazing speakers!!

7. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Daman,

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Polk's too. I think of the RM6700's as the Rodney Dangerfields of the speaker world [​IMG] and the price/performance ratio is excellent! [​IMG]

Debbie

8. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

Kinda hijacking again, but I figure this thread is pretty dead anyhow.

I am either going to end up getting the Polk RM 6700 package with a P303 sub or a Paradigm setup.

The Paradigm setup will most likely use:
    Focus for fronts
    CC-270 for center
    ADP-170 for surrounds
    PDR-12 for sub
    Costing about $1296-$1476 USD

Do you think there will be a noticeable difference in quality between the two systems? My room is about 20' by 15'.