What's new

Energy e:XL15 or Optimus Pro-LX5 for surrounds (1 Viewer)

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
I need advice,

I need to clean my place from some of the speakers which I don't need, but I still can't decide which one to keep.

I need to keep one pair RadioShack Pro-LX5 or Energy e:XL15 for my rear surround.

Both have some + and -

RadioShack has alsome highs but sucks on bass
Energy has pretty good bass nothing compare to LX5 highs

so which one would you keep if you were me.

My surrounds are Athena AS-R1

Thanks
Ivan

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
I need advice,

I need to clean my place from some of the speakers which I don't need, but I still can't decide which one to keep.

I need to keep one pair RadioShack Pro-LX5 or Energy e:XL15 for my rear surround.

Both have some + and -

RadioShack has alsome highs but sucks on bass
Energy has pretty good bass nothing compare to LX5 highs

so which one would you keep if you were me.

My surrounds are Athena AS-R1

Thanks
Ivan

Andrew JC

Stunt Coordinator
Ivan, I do not own the Energy e:XL15 but I do have the Radio Shack LX5. I do agree with you 100% the highs are so sweet on those speakers. Also the soundstage is huge due to the tweeter design. I have not done it yet but I do plan on performing some of mods that have been posted on the web. They are proported to help out the bass which is lacking on thse speakers. Just something to think about.

Andrew JC

Stunt Coordinator
Ivan, I do not own the Energy e:XL15 but I do have the Radio Shack LX5. I do agree with you 100% the highs are so sweet on those speakers. Also the soundstage is huge due to the tweeter design. I have not done it yet but I do plan on performing some of mods that have been posted on the web. They are proported to help out the bass which is lacking on thse speakers. Just something to think about.

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
hi all,
this is my 1st ht forum post.
the original optimus pro-lx5 speaker from radio shack has the famous lineum dipole ribbon tweeters (patented) used in speakers costing 1k each. they have the best high frequency clarity and dispersion of anything i have heard (30 years in the hobby). i use them in all positions of a 7.1 ht system.
in fact, i use 7 of them across the front with 2 each for right and left and 3 for the center. with 2 additional stereo amps (hk pa2000's) this gives me 11 amplified channels. the dipole tweeters seem largely immune to comb filtering that can occur with close drivers.
i hung the 2 side and 2 rear surround speakers upside down to bring the tweeters closer to ear level. the dipole tweeters give a great surround field.
i got the lx-5s on ebay (they come up all the time) and did a simple mod to the ports and stuffed the cabinet(takes a few minutes/no cost). this "stiffens" the 5.25 inch poly drivers and cleans up the midrange.
they roll off at about 90hz. so i cross them over at 100hz. my sub is a svs pb2+ and it handles the bass with ease. the system is like "being there" in a good theater with a wall of sound across the front. the lineum tweeters have ethereal highs and the pb2+ kicks bass! all at a modest cost (except in time for the system design and experiments, but thats half the fun).
for music i still prefer full range towers (boston acoustic), but for movies the modest pro lx-5 is superb.
the original lx-5s have a cult following so if you look for them on e-bay be careful not to overbid. if you are patient you can get them cheap.
best,
eric

Eric:F

Stunt Coordinator
hi all,
this is my 1st ht forum post.
the original optimus pro-lx5 speaker from radio shack has the famous lineum dipole ribbon tweeters (patented) used in speakers costing 1k each. they have the best high frequency clarity and dispersion of anything i have heard (30 years in the hobby). i use them in all positions of a 7.1 ht system.
in fact, i use 7 of them across the front with 2 each for right and left and 3 for the center. with 2 additional stereo amps (hk pa2000's) this gives me 11 amplified channels. the dipole tweeters seem largely immune to comb filtering that can occur with close drivers.
i hung the 2 side and 2 rear surround speakers upside down to bring the tweeters closer to ear level. the dipole tweeters give a great surround field.
i got the lx-5s on ebay (they come up all the time) and did a simple mod to the ports and stuffed the cabinet(takes a few minutes/no cost). this "stiffens" the 5.25 inch poly drivers and cleans up the midrange.
they roll off at about 90hz. so i cross them over at 100hz. my sub is a svs pb2+ and it handles the bass with ease. the system is like "being there" in a good theater with a wall of sound across the front. the lineum tweeters have ethereal highs and the pb2+ kicks bass! all at a modest cost (except in time for the system design and experiments, but thats half the fun).
for music i still prefer full range towers (boston acoustic), but for movies the modest pro lx-5 is superb.
the original lx-5s have a cult following so if you look for them on e-bay be careful not to overbid. if you are patient you can get them cheap.
best,
eric

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Eric,
well you made me think about them, I might just install them next to the rear set of surrond and get additional amp to drive them.
If my wife didn't kick me out and throw all my gear before that :)))))) well I will need to get amp now or just use my spare receiver as an amp. and try them.

Thanks

Ivan P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Eric,
well you made me think about them, I might just install them next to the rear set of surrond and get additional amp to drive them.
If my wife didn't kick me out and throw all my gear before that :)))))) well I will need to get amp now or just use my spare receiver as an amp. and try them.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks