What's new

Energy Connoisseurs with 5.2 system? (1 Viewer)

Bill Leahy

Agent
Would Energy Connoisseur C-1s be a good upgrade for my 5.2 system? I was thinking of buying a pair for and keep my center and surrounds. Maybe add the existing 5.2s for side surrounds when I go 7.1, now I have 5.1. Thanks

BradZ

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also interested in this upgrade path. If anyone has gone this route, how did it work out?

My other option is to upgrade the S8.2 Energy sub with either an HSU STF-2 or an SVS 25-33pci?

Which is the better option? new sub or new mains? also- should I budget for a new CC-1 center, or could I get away with the Take center for a while?

any advice would be appreciated.

sorry to hijack your thread Bill- consider it a bump. :)

EdNichols

Second Unit
Bill amd Brad,
I use to have the Energy EXl26's as my mains and the takes as my center and surrounds and this combination sounded good to me. The Connoisseur replaced the XL series so yours may even sound better.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
No, no, no....the Connoisseur didn't replaced the XL series. There's a updated XL series with one floorstanding model, one bookshelf model, and one center channel model. It's positioned below the Connoisseur series in the Energy line though.

Gary Mays

Agent
I did this exact thing a few weeks ago. I had the Energy Take 5.2 system (four 2.2 satellites and the 1.2 center) and the 8.2 sub. I'm using a Yamaha HTR-5540 receiver with a fixed 90hz x-over. The room is about 12' X 14', with one partially open wall and a cathedral ceiling.

I bought two C-1s to replace the two 2.2 as mains. The C-1s have the same tweeters as my other speakers. The timbre matching seems perfect.

I am delighted with this set-up. Its a noticeable improvement over the 2.2s. The sound seems much bigger/fuller.

Bill Leahy

Agent
Thanks Gary, our rooms seem exactly rhe same. Been thinking of many things to change, but my 5.2s really do almost satisfy me. I am leaning towards this move. Thanks

Gary Mays

Agent
Bill,

You're welcome. If you go through with this, I'd be curious to know what you think of the upgrade.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I would also consider upgrading to the C-C1 center. Locally I've seen these three for about $575. I've seen them used for about $375. They would make a great front three with your yamaha receiver!

Bill Leahy

Agent
Oh, do you think that the 2.2 center for the 5.2 system with a c-1 front upgrade would not be a good match? That center is alitle expensive. Would the c -1s be ok if I laid them on their sides? I dont think that they will work on my 2.2 stands. They will however go nicely on my bookcase, but on their sides. Thanks!

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I did almost the same thing for upgrading, just older models. I have the Take 5 and replaced my mains with C-2's. Much fuller sounding.

Of course I then upgraded my center channel to the AC-300. I then upgraded my mains to the Veritas bookshelfs and replaced my center to the Vertias too. Oh, and then I replaced my rear Take 2's with the Veritas ones. Oh wait, there's more...then I upgraded my fronts to Martin Logan Aerius i's. Do you see where this is going? Yep, upgrading is a baaaad habit. But it is so much fun!

Jeff

Derek H

Agent
Got a VERY QUICK response from them, however I am not sure from the response if indeed they are timbre matched :confused:

Actually the C series matches well tonally with the Take 5.2 speakers. The only thing to watch carefully when you do the set up is that the C series is more efficient. This means when you set the channel levels, you may try to turn the rears up too loud to compensate as the fronts will have more output. As long as you’re careful with the levels, and set the Take 2.2 rears to “small” mode it should sound really good.

Best Regards

Joe Fraser

Audio Products International Corp.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
It would appear from that email that they are timber matched. All he is saying is that you need to calibrate your speakers once you have them hooked up. You should always calibrate your speakers. You shouldn't have any problems. Your center and rears may have to be increased a db or two, but other than that, you are ready to go.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks