Energy Connoisseurs, warm or bright sounding?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by eryn shannon, Feb 5, 2004.

1. eryn shannon

eryn shannon Stunt Coordinator

Are the energy connoisseur speakers considered warm or bright sounding? What receiver would work well with this line of speakers, if used for a 50/50 mix of movies and music. Thanks!

2. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

I dont know what did you think of them??
    Did you find them warm or bright with what amp ?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. eryn shannon

I haven't had a chance to audition them yet. But once I do I probably won't know wheather they are warm or bright sounding as I have little experience with speakers. I just wnated to know if they were warm or bright sounding so I know what a warm or bright speaker sounds like and get an idea of what to listen for. [​IMG]

4. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

Which pair of Connoisseurs are you considering? Towers or bookshelves?

To my mind, the C-series are bright, due to their metal tweeter. Bright, but not harsh or shrill. That said, they are a very open and accurate speaker, especially the C7 tower.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I'd agree. Slightly forward, but not edgy or harsh. Just revealing and detailed.

6. Lee Distad

My preference for amplifying the C7 or C9, for arguments sake, would be a Marantz reciever with a lot of guts, like the SR6400 or SR7400, that will bring out the bottom end that the Connoisseurs have in them, but need encouragement to deliver.

Going upmarket, and off topic, last year I put together a pair of Veritas 2.3's with the Marantz SR9200. That was a setup that was
    very full, rich, and downright thumpy.

For the record, the demo track that sealed that deal on the receiver was Ice Cube's Gone in 60 Seconds, both for it's stereo imaging, and it's deep, crisp boom.

7. eryn shannon

Thanks for the help guys. I was almost decided on the c-9's up front and the dennon 3803 but now i'll consider the marantz. Hopefully I can find a place that sells both so I can demo them together.

8. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

I would seriously consider the C-7. IMHO its the best in the Connoisseur line. I don't know what it is about it that makes me like it more. I think the C-9 is just slightly more muffeled. (Not that theses speakers are muffeled but I don't know how else to say it) Plus it cost less [​IMG]

I second the marantz, these towers are juice hungry but really shine with some good power!!! [​IMG]

9. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

when I was shopping for an upgrade, I checked out the Connoisseurs. Didn't particularly like the C-5, but liked the C-7 quite a bit.

Ended up with paradigm studio60s, but I do like the C-7s still.

10. Lee Distad

I concur with Alex in that the C7's are tighter. The 5 1/4" drivers are crisper than the 6 1/2" drivers in the C9.

I consider the C7 to be the best value in the Connoisseur series.

11. TimB

TimB Agent

I have the C-7's with a yamaha 1400 (the new one is the 1500). They sound excellent, and my ratio of music and movies is the same as yours.

One thing I want to add, if you go with the Energy Connoisseur line, give them a week of playing at moderate levels to break in before you decide if you like them or not. After about 40 - 50 hours is when the speakers really open up.

Enjoy!

12. Daman

Daman Second Unit

I dont think they are bright sounding, i have the whole energy setup(C3's up front, CC1 center channel,CR1 sides and C1 rear surrounds with SvSPB10) and use a Yamaha 5790 to power them and I absolutely love them. I havent had the chance to audition the C7 or C9s since i specifically wanted bookshelves but im sure they would exhibit the same charateristics as well. Eitherways i dont think you can go wrong with the C series, excellent value in speakers [​IMG]

13. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've had a set of the older Energy RVS-RVSS speakers for quite some time now being driven by a Yamaha RX-V1 and I love the clarity and detailed sound. They were actually pretty close to my old JBL L100 (very strong & forward mids and highs)....that I've had for 26 years.

14. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

I like the C-3 and the C-7's the most in the Connoisseur line. The C-3 is one seriously good sounding bookshelf, and the C-7 is great value. I don't think the extra cost of the C-9 really buys you better sound.

I don't think the C series would ever be considered warm unless you really have a laid back amp. On my Yamaha, it isn't bright, but still nice and forward.