Energy Connoisseur-SVS? / Definitive Technology?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin-K, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

Dilemma:
    Energy Connoisseur:
    C-5 Floor standing $540
    C-C1 Center Channel $349
    C-R1 Rear Channel :$499
    SVS:
    20-30pci $499
    Total Cost $1887
    OR
    Definitive Technology:
    BP2004TL Floor Standing $1358
    C/L/R 2002 Center Channel $424
    BP1.2X Rear Channel $297
    Total Cost: $2079
    I’ve been listening for months and can’t make up my mind. But, I’ve finely narrowed it down to the two choices. Both sound great but very different. The DT win for ascetics but deep down I think the Energy Combo might be better. The system will be powered by a 75w Yamaha RX-V630 in my 655sf Condo in Fort Lauderdale. Either way I’m convinced my neighbors will love the bass. [​IMG] Any suggestions?

2. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

definitely upgrade to the C-7 from Energy. In my opinion, it sounds quite a bit better than the C-7, and isn't that much more expensive. You'll still be under the cost of the deftech ensemble, and it'll sound much better IMO.

have you tried comparing the C-R1 and the C-1 as rear speakers? I prefer the sound of direct-radiating bookshelves in a system with proper placement, but that's just my opinion and you should judge for yourself. just try it, you can't lose!

-Seb

3. ChaseHanna

ChaseHanna Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the recomendation to upgrade to the c-7 if you can afford it. By comparing the two I prefered the 7 by a wide margin. If it were me I would go with a combo of C-7's and C-1's.

Good luck

4. David Nash

David Nash Agent

David
    My votes for the Def Tech. I have the same speakers your looking at, except I have the BP2X as my rears. I own a home and these are in my lower level family room which measures approx. 18' x 30'. I love the sound these speakers create and the bass from the two 10" subs are more than enough, and I don't have to worry about neighbors above or below me complaining. Just a thought to consider since you live in a condo. I haven't heard the other speakers your considering but I know I Reeeeaaaalllly like the Def Tech.
    Good Luck
    David

5. EricE

EricE Agent

I also agree, yesterday I did extensive listening of the C-1, C-3, C-5, and C-7. Comparing the C-5 and C-7, I would absolutely say that the C-7 sounds better. Not like a huge step or anything, but in my opinion definently worth the upgrade from C-5.

6. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

besides, the C-C1 and C-1s, as well as the C-R1s (I think) use the same drivers as the C-7s, which are different from the C-5's drivers. therefore, better matching all around!

7. Mike Gl

Mike Gl Stunt Coordinator

Another possibility for you to consider with respect to the Definitive Technology is to go with the BP8 instead of the BP2004TL and add the SVS 20-39 PCi. This should give you better bass extension below 30 hz.

Whichever option you select should get your neighbors' attention.

Mike

8. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Ya pass on the BP2004's. The "subs" in them are just woofers without any real deep bass.

9. Terrell

Terrell Producer

The bass edge certainly goes to the SVS. However, the Def Techs in my opinion are much better than the Connoiseur. So, SVS/Def Tech combo sounds the best, unless you just don't have room for the stand alone sub.

10. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

I'm going to have to listen to the C-7's again. I don't recall there sound because last I listened to them they were not in my budget, but now that has changed. Anyway I'm very impressed with the Connoisseur line. Looks and the sound are great. But I'm still considering the DT. I have not decided on my preference of not having a sweet spot.